Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boo98

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
I was on my rMB the other night and the screen just went black... I had to shut it down and once rebooted, I got an error that this computer did not shut down correctly, etc. Has anyone else experienced this and what could be causing it?

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
No I have not experienced this before. I have had this computer since end April. I am still hanging on to 10.10.3. Are you on Yosemite 10.10.4 or 10.10.3?

boo98

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2014
No I have not experienced this before. I have had this computer since end April. I am still hanging on to 10.10.3. Are you on Yosemite 10.10.4 or 10.10.3?

I just updated to 10.10.4 today.

MikeA@TO

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2015
Could that have caused the problem? Hope other forumers can chip in here with their experiences.

I was on my rMB the other night and the screen just went black... I had to shut it down and once rebooted, I got an error that this computer did not shut down correctly, etc. Has anyone else experienced this and what could be causing it?

I had a problem with a black screen or unexpected shutdown. I received my rMB on June 25th and had it shut down unexpectly a couple of days later, it didn't happen again until July 1st. It shutdown again while I was using the Music app. After that it would boot up, but couldn't log on to the user account without shutting down part way through the log on process. It also couldn't boot into safe mode or recovery. It could boot into diagnostic mode, which showed no hardware problems when it was run.

Ended up taking it into the Apple Store, initially they thought it was caused by a problem with the initial OS X install, but unfortunately it turned out to be a hardware issue with the logic board. So now I'm waiting for a replacement. Hopefully your rMB doesn't have the same issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: polee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.