Random shut downs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pondy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Pondy macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 MBP that randomly shuts down on me. I have looked up just about every method on the Internet to see if I can fix it myself. I have even taken the machine into a local Apple sanctioned store to see if they can help out. They have also sent the machine in to Apple because they were having a hard time diagnosing the problem. Apple replaced the hard drive and sent it back to me. All was well for about 2 months and it started happening again. I bought an SSD and 8 GB of RAM to upgrade my machine. I was hoping that this would solve the issues of the random shut downs but it did not. I pin pointed the problem and I found that it would turn off after I had closed the lid on the machine and it went into Sleep Mode in between my classes at school. It would only happen if I was moving around with my laptop. I am very gentle with this machine. It was very expensive and I treat it like a baby. I have disabled the SMS, reset the SMC, and reset the PRAM. I'm getting the feeling that my machine is faulty. Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

First thing I'd suspect is the RAM. Put the original RAM back in and see if the problem goes away.
    Second OSX is very fussy about SSDs too. What model and firmware is it running?

3. Pondy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a Crucial m4 256GB. The firmware is up to date. I made sure of that when I installed it in November.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Did you do a fresh OSX install, TM or Carbon Copy?

5. Pondy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you still have the original RAM, put it back in. All else fails could be something wrong with your MacBook.

7. Pondy thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, will do. I have scoured the Internet for a problem that is similar to mine and I cannot to save my life. I appreciate the feedback. I'll respond with my findings.

8. Pondy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I got my machine back from AppleCare. The issue was the logic board and the magsafe board. They replaced both of them. I hope this helps someone with similar symptoms.