Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Is there a reason my iPhone 4S is shutting off randomly after opening an app or simply pushing the sleep button?

It has been happening probably once or twice every couple of days. I'm not sure if it has to do with the phone or the iOS.

If anyone has experienced this or has an idea of what is causing this, I would greatly appreciate your help.

Cuneyd

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
mine also got stuck on amazon app and i pressed sleep/wake button and it went black with the spinner thing in the middle, i let it do its think, but it was not shutting off, so finally i held sleep,wake for like a minute and it shut off.

xenaki

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008
This was happening to mine. Brought it in to Apple. They said it was most likely a hardware issue and gave me a new phone. New one hasn't shut off on me once...

cmm26red

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Happened to me yesterday, unsure of the cause. Went on a hike with the family in the back 40, took numerous pics of them, fungi, snakes, lots of stuff. About at our turn around point I took my phone out of my pocket again to snap a pic and nothing, held down the power button, would not power on. Frustrated and on the way back tried to power the phone on a couple more times, no go. I assumed the battery was dead, but was suspect I as knew better, had it on the charger earlier that day. Got home, plugged it into the charger and left it for about 5 minutes, still nothing. Did a hard reset, power plus home and finally the Apple icon appeared, iOS booted, 87% power, wtf. First time this has happened, been fine today with moderate usage, opinion is this is a software issue, but unsure... :confused:

Edit: My 4s has been in an Otterbox Defender from the get go.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Just happened to me again just a minute ago.

I'm in the process of restoring mine right now to see if this will help.

I always used to make fun of my friends who had these problems with their blackberrys..I guess the bad luck is coming back to bite me :/

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Just happened to me again just a minute ago.

I'm in the process of restoring mine right now to see if this will help.

I always used to make fun of my friends who had these problems with their blackberrys..I guess the bad luck is coming back to bite me :/

Sounds like everything apple fans use to make fun of BB and android for is coming back to bite them in the ass.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Sounds like everything apple fans use to make fun of BB and android for is coming back to bite them in the ass.

I had the exact same blackberry at the time it was happening. I never once had a problem with it. just making a joke.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
can someone post the diagnostic message in "settings" that logged the incident?

i bet it is a kernel panic. that is what my first one was having and i even tried 2 full restores which did not fix it so they eventually replaced it. so far, so good on the new one.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I had mine where the screen would not come on and the back was warm. I took it to a genius. Tested fine however they gave me the option to replace it and I did.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I ended up finding it.

Here's a pic of the most recent ones. Let me know if you need anymore info.
474fa896-6c84-1176.jpg

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Same thing has been happening to me. At random times I go to check my phone and screen won't even turn on. Hold down the power button and nothing. Have to hold the power and home button together for like 10 seconds and then the device reboots. No idea what's causing the issue but glad I'm not the only one it's happening to. Sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Nope, that's all we need.

See the first six entries? those are all documented happenings of kernel panics. You need to backup your iPhone and then take it in for a replacement. It's a hardware issue.

Thank you for your input. I saw in another thread that now probably isn't the best time to go into apple for a replacement because they won't have new phones to replace it with. Does this sound true to you?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Thank you for your input. I saw in another thread that now probably isn't the best time to go into apple for a replacement because they won't have new phones to replace it with. Does this sound true to you?

I would trust more in a refurb unit for this particular issue because you'll know in a refurb that the issue has been addressed. That's not the case with same batch new ones.

Rich101088

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2011
Wales, UK
Had a few issues where it has taken a while to wake from sleep, went to diagnostics theres two reports of Low memory, should i be worried?

xenaki

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2008

No. They have replacements in the store for hardware related issues. They're in the little brown boxes but they are brand new phones. Apple does this when a product launches so, in case there is a hardware issue, the consumer won't be screwed trying to find a replacement. The Genius told me they won't start to get refurbs for at least a month.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
No. They have replacements in the store for hardware related issues. They're in the little brown boxes but they are brand new phones. Apple does this when a product launches so, in case there is a hardware issue, the consumer won't be screwed trying to find a replacement. The Genius told me they won't start to get refurbs for at least a month.

Well that's good to know. I was about to be a little upset if they were gonna take my two week old phone and give me a refurb one.

Can you guys think of anything specific I should tell the genius when I go into apple.

Again, thank you all for your help!

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
I had the same problem (twice) last leek - phone appears dead and will not respond to either the home key or the power button on their own. I had to hold both the power and the home button for 10 secs to force a re-boot. On the second occasion I phoned Apple. They said I should first try restoring the phone (in iTunes) which I did. I then set it up as a new iPhone (rather than using a backup, just in case the backup was corrupted). That was Friday and, so far, my iPhone is behaving itself. (Unforunately I didn't look at the diagnostics page in detail, I just remember there what a hell of a lot of logs in there...)

So rather than take it straight in to an AppleStore you might want to try restoring in iTunes first.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Just tell them it is crashing and show them the diagnostic log file if they ask. I got my phone replaced and didn't even have to show them any proof.

However, I was having those panic list file logs like someone posted above and even after 2 restores, it would keep doing it making me think it was a hardware issue. The replacement phone hasn't done it yet.

spoolin00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Just tell them it is crashing and show them the diagnostic log file if they ask. I got my phone replaced and didn't even have to show them any proof.

However, I was having those panic list file logs like someone posted above and even after 2 restores, it would keep doing it making me think it was a hardware issue. The replacement phone hasn't done it yet.

Great, thanks for the heads up.

I have already tried restoring it. It may just be my imagination, but it seams like it getting worse. I even missed my one of my classes this morning because it shut off preventing my alarm from going off.

Thanks everyone for the help, I will be heading to apple here in the next couple of days to see if I can get this resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.