Random shutdowns after sleep on 2013 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ratboy90, Jan 24, 2014.

1. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

I've been getting random shutdowns on my MBA 2013. It almost always happens when I've closed the lid to put it to sleep. After that when I open it the screen always stays black and nothing happens. I have to press down on the power button for a while to get it to reboot.
    I've noticed it happening since I upgraded to Mavericks. I thought it might be a problem because I just updated so I did a clean install last week but it's continued to happen.

Any ideas what this could be due to?

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

probably corrupted software, are you "clean install" of mavericks??
    please try to clean install and get test soon. (maybe from installer package or process).

3. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

yeah i did a clean install.

4. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

5. psik macrumors 6502

Yes, apple store, ask for replacement, not sure why you haven't done so already

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sometimes those odd wake issues can be solved by a SMC reset.

7. iCheddar, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Weaselboy is right. A SMC reset may resolve things. Doesn't help to do a NVRAM reset as well.

I'd check in the app store for any firmware or OS updates, see if that resolves things. Make sure to run Apple Diagnostics as well.

Honestly though, it's likely something in the logic board. I've seen at least 2 Macbook Airs come in to the shop with similar symptoms as yours. Once with intermittent symptoms, another with continuous symptoms. Both cases, we ended up replacing the MLB.

Take it to your local Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.

8. trombo22 macrumors member

Went to the apple store about this exact issue, and I was told this is a known issue and Apple Engineering is working on a fix. They told me to keep software up to date and restrain from using sleep and sleep related features such as put hard disk to sleep. Under warranty and said there was nothing they could do.

9. ratboy90, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

Thanks for the help. I'm going to book an appointment with the apple store and run diagnostics first. I had a random shutdown yesterday and saved the log for it. Could anybody help me read it out?

{EDIT} did a diagnostics test and got an error code related to the battery which I've posted underneath the log.

Apple Diagnostics run through gave me the error code

10. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

According to this, that PPP003 error is bad power adaptor.

[​IMG]

Looks like it is off to the Apple Store for you. :(

12. star-affinity, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

No need to go to the Apple Store – OS X 10.9.2 fixes it (it seems)!

This happens on all MacBook Air (Mid 2013) models. Fine in OS X 10.8.x but not in OS X 10.9 or 10.9.1.

Someone on the Apple discussions says they've tried the latest OS X 10.9.2 beta and the issue can't be reproduced there.

Edit:
    @ratboy90 Aha, sorry. Your is probably different. If you get an error code when running the hardware test it's absolutely a good idea to go tot the Apple store.

13. ratboy90 thread starter macrumors 6502

ratboy90

Could you give me a link to this? I'm quite convinced it's a software issue because I never had any problems before upgrading to Mavericks.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your Apple Hardware Test showed the error PPP003. Look in my previous post and I linked to the Apple support document showing that is a problem with the power adaptor.

It is likely coincidental this happened the same time you updated to Mavs.

15. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I definitely wouldn't put too much stock in the power adapter error. It's likely a grounding problem. I see errors in my diags from time to time that reference grounding issues even with known-good power adapters and known-good systems.

It's a software problem, or more specifically, a SMC problem. It's not common and far reaching, but it happens. Until Apple releases a software update to deal with the problem, there isn't much that can be done about it.