Random sleep and 0% battery problem

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shimizu96, May 27, 2016.

1. Shimizu96 macrumors newbie

Ok, so, i got a Powerbook G4 5.8 (1,67Ghz G4, 2Gb DDR2 Ram, Replaced the HDD to a 160GB one and High Res Display). The old HDD was basically dead so i had to replace it with another one that seems to work pretty fine and make way less noise. The problem is that randomly the Powerbook will black screen and enter sleep mode and it doens't turn on again until i plug in the charger. When i do it, the powerbook turns on again (And i can see it was in sleep mode, not completely turned off) but the battery is at 0%. If i let it load until about 10-15%, unplug and plug again the charger it comes back to the old battery % (For example 80%) and works again. What could it be? The battery or the 160Gb HDD? Thanks!

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I'm not familiar with those symptoms with that combination of hardware (can hibernation occur?), but from what I vaguely recall of Powerbook battery issues: what you describe does sound like an issue with the battery.

3. ziggy29 macrumors regular

I assume we've already tried resetting the PMU and PRAM? That said, if all this fails I would also suspect the battery. I have a 12" 1.33 Al PBG4 where the battery would apparently fully charge, then go down to about 60% then suddenly to 5%. And then when I'd recharge it, it wouldn't go over 38% or so. It seemed random in terms of where the percentage indicator would read, but ultimately a new battery fixed it.

4. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

The suddenness and randomness described by @ziggy29 does sound familiar.

I imagine that repeatedly allowing the battery to apparently dip might allow the intelligence in/around the battery to relearn proper behaviour. But I suspect that's less likely to happen with old Mac notebooks (more likely with MacBooks and the like).

5. Shimizu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

How can I do that? I'm new into the PPC world! Anyway, if that will not fix it, I will change the battery. It's strange because it has only 70 cycles and lasts about 2 hours of Web browsing but I will get a new one if I need to.

6. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Two words: shelf life. Batteries only last so long, even with little to no cycles. Cells go bad, just kinda how it is. Anyway, for a PRAM reset, shut down the computer, hold CMD+OPT+P+R and power on. Keep holding until second chime. The PMU reset should be under the keyboard on some models, or its another process (look up your PB year + 'PMU reset' on google)

7. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I would recommend downloading Coconut Battery (make sure it is the PPC version). This app will allow you to check on your battery's statistics, and will basically allow you to tell if you should replace it

8. Shimizu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok guys, i did both the resets. I already have Coconut Battery. Actually, it says about 4000 mAh/4400 mAh (90% health) but when the weird thing with the battery happens it says about 800/4400 mAh.

Now that i did the reset i'll be watching if the problem comes out again and i'll let you know.

BTW, if i ignore this problem (Well, this machine has over 10 years...), i'm loving this Mac!

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Probably a bad cell, sorry to say.

10. Shimizu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here in italy i found new batteries for about 25-30€ each. So that shouldn't be a problem! If the problem shows up again, i'll order a new one immediately! Thanks for the help for now :)

11. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

New? As in just manufactured? Or batteries from the era, never opened?

12. Shimizu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

They sell them as "new", i think they mean never opened. Don't think someone is still making batteries for Powerbooks in 2016 (Correct me if i'm wrong).

Also, i have an OT question:

I downloaded iStat Pro Widget and it says the the left fan is spinning at around 1200 rpm (goes up to about 2200 urder heavy load but the right fan shows 0 rpm. Is this ok? (Maybe right fan starts only under heavy work idk)

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

On PowerBooks the left fan is the main fan. The right fan only kicks in around 140-145º (Fahrenheit) and only operates until the computer is sufficiently cool for the left fan to continue cooling on it's own.

MacBooks and MacBook Pros on the other hand always have both fans running.

14. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

On the note of the original battery, my PowerBook G4 Titanium does the same thing, reads at 3800mAH out of the 4000mAH original capacity. It goes to sleep at around 40% and when the charger is inserted, the percentage reads 0.

15. Shimizu96 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, basically this confirms that the problem is the battery?

16. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Yeah, there's probably one dead cell out of the bunch, and it is confusing the battery to die prematurely. You can get a cheap replacement battery off eBay for $10, but these won't be of the highest qualtity and will not last for a long time