Resolved Random sound from rMBP speaker

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajanini, Jul 19, 2013.

1. ajanini, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

ajanini macrumors member

ajanini

Hi everyone!

Every so often my rMBP produces a sound from it's speakers. It's not static (ie buzzing), but more like someone blowing air out of their mouths, or dragging something across a rough surface. This seems to happen randomly. Sometimes the noise occurs twice in a row (like two quick air blows). It's rather loud, as in I can hear it even if iTunes is playing music.

I found one other reference to this on the web here, but it is definitely not the Basso sound.

I do keep my phone near my computer, but it's nothing like the interference sound a phone will cause on speakers when it's near a TV or a radio.

I also suspect the Magic Mouse - the bluetooth radio - but I believe a lot of people use it, so if that was the case, it would be a lot more common...

I have tried to capture this sound on video, but since it is completely random, I've had no luck so far.

Has anyone noticed this? Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. cbs20 macrumors member

Go to System Preferences>Energy Saver Settings and uncheck the automatic graphics switching at the top. See if that solves your problem.

3. ajanini thread starter macrumors member

ajanini

Nope, I have an external display hooked up all the time so my rMBP is pretty much always on de nVidia card (I have gfxCardStatus running). Thanks for trying to help, though!

I have found the sound I hear, however! When I delete a bookmark from the bookmark bar in Google Chrome, the same sound is played.

Ok, so when I drag an application from the dock (and therefore delete it from there) the same sound is used.

What could be causing this to be played randomly?

----------

Wow! I'm relieved! It's Messages!

It's the sound that is played when contacts sign on or off! I feel so stupid!

This has helped me: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3295290?start=0&tstart=0

Hope this can be of some help to someone else...