Random Spinning Wheels?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shivohum, May 15, 2010.

1. shivohum macrumors newbie

I have an MBP (4 GB RAM, 2.8 Ghz). I installed Snow Leopard a few months ago, and I've been keeping up on the updates. Recently, however, I've been getting some random spinning wheels. They only stop the computer for maybe 30 seconds or a minute, and then everything resumes like normal.

They probably happen around once every half hour or so.

I've tried closing all my suspect applications (Firefox, Word, etc.), but the wheels seem to keep happening.

During the wheels, the system gets locked down but I can move my mouse. I can never quite catch the rogue process on activity monitor, since it freezes while it's going on, and then when it starts working again, the rogue process is already gone.

Any idea what the issue is or how I can figure it out? Does activity monitor keep logs that I can check, or how do I make it log things?

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can open up Console and see the logs.

Have you repaired disk permissions?

3. shivohum thread starter macrumors newbie

After your post, I did.

Now, a bigger problem. So I left the computer, it went into standby, and when I came back, it had a spinning wheel.

After more than a minute of waiting, I got impatient, and just turned the computer off and turned it back on again.

When I booted up, I have boot camp assistant, and my OS X partition had disappeared! What happened??