Random Split Second Beachball

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 0r30, Nov 13, 2013.

1. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I have recently upgraded my macbook pro to Mavericks and have been getting split second beachballs. It happens a lot and its getting annoying. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Yes.I see it frequently and others report the same issue. maybe fixed in 10.9.1

3. 0r30 thread starter macrumors 6502

0r30

Ok. Just making sure I'm not the only one.

So far I have tried
    -Verify Disk Permissions
    -Verify Disk

and the problem still persists.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

I don;t think the verify will show anything; I'm pretty sure it's entirely a software issue...I didn't have the issue until I upgraded to Mavericks, and it's on a 13" MBA 2013

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Same issue here.

Taking a blind stab in the dark here, but I wonder if it has anything to do with non-10.9-optimized apps coming in and out of app nap?

6. dean1012 macrumors regular

Is your screen a retina screen?

Just curious... I have a 2013 MBA (obviously not retina) and do not have this issue... I'm wondering if it has something to do with the retina screen

7. TallGuyGT macrumors regular

TallGuyGT

Yes, there have been several threads on this. I have a 2011 17", affected me as well. Very annoying, but didn't seem to cause any issues. Went back to 10.8.5 for an unrelated software compatibility issue. Hope they get that fixed before I upgrade again.

8. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Definitely happening to me. I'm positive it's a bug and, hopefully, it'll be fixed by 10.9.1 or 10.9.2.

9. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Same here. Annoying, but it doesn't slow my Macbook.

It happens to me when hovering the mouse over the screen and Safari is open.

All the best,
    ^MPY.

10. 0r30 thread starter macrumors 6502

0r30

yes retina screen. I really hope they come out with a update soon. I hate how the beach balls pop up ..its annoying.

11. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I have the same thing. Even a few times its got stuck on the beachball. I can keep working, but my mousepointer never change back.

12. DelMac, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

DelMac macrumors regular

It started happening to me the day I installed Mavericks on my MB Air. Lasted for exactly a week and then the behavior stopped. Well a couple of weeks later I restarted my Air for an update and it started all over again. Hasn't stopped since. Quite frustrating. Other than that, I guess Mavericks is working fine.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Same here on early 2013 15" rMBP. It usually happens if I hover over "Close/Minimize" button or after clicking one of the buttons. And I think it's only in Safari but wouldn't swear to it.

14. chaseychasem macrumors regular

15. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

16. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

Personally, out of 3 machines (Early 2011 MBP w/ aftermarket SSD upgrade, Late 2012 Mac Mini running Server, and a full-custom mid-tower build), I have not experienced any persistent beach-balling with Mavericks. Granted, I also run pretty vanilla installations, with no 3rd party kernel extensions (exception being the custom-build, of course).

That being said, beach-balling like what is being described here could very well be due to I/O Blocking; a read or write system call must complete before a process can resume and if there is a delay you will see a spinning beach ball.

MacOS X has, for some time, shipped with a handful of tools which may shed some light on this issue: DTrace Scripts. They are found in /usr/bin, and typically have some descriptive name with a .d suffix. Some of the pertinent ones are:

iofile.d - Reports on I/O Wait Time by File and Process requesting access.
    hotspot.d - Aggregates disk accesses by location, presenting a histogram output. This is useful for finding particular "hot-spots" that are frequently being accessed.
    iosnoop - Reports in real-time all device-level I/O requests. Run this with the -o option to see the amount of time for each request to complete.
    cpu_profiler.d - This is like the "Sample Process" option in Activity Monitor, but runs globally sampling all processes, including the kernel. By default, this will dump every stacktrace of every aggregate sample, which is a lot of data. You can restrict to the top N most frequent hits by passing the option "-c N".

If I were in the position of others and experiencing frequent spinning beachballs, I would run some of these scripts to catch one of these beachballs and check the output for some clues on any potential excessive I/O Waits.

17. mckey macrumors member

Same thing here after installing mavericks on my 2012 mac mini thought it was a ram/SSD problem at first,Before I found this thread about others having the same issue.........

18. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

19. 0r30 thread starter macrumors 6502

0r30

20. slrandall macrumors 6502

Yep, all the time.

21. dBeats macrumors 6502a

dBeats

So far 10.9.1 developer preview is humming along here and I don't see beach balls. Looks like the general availability will be pretty soon and hopefully this issue is put to bed.

22. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Not seeing this on my early 2011 MBP with an aftermarket SSD (250GB Samsung 840), but I am somewhat curios about this issue.

In what kinds of situations do these random beach balls occur? Do they occur when you open something like a go from one web page to anther, open a pulldown menu (i.e the ones at the top of the screen), move around in a finder window or open a new one? Do they appear when you're not doing anything?

23. SSMclure macrumors newbie

Random Split second beachball

I am INCREDIBLY grateful to find this thread. I am having the exact same issue on a 2012 Macbook Air with 4gigs of RAM. It has been driving me nuts -- I reinstalled Mavericks three times and got rid of a bunch of third-party apps, after doing disk verify and disk repair a bunch of times.
    Has anybody bothered going to the Genius Bar with this? Wondering if they might be of any help. Maybe we just wait until 10.9.1?
    Incidentally, my issues seem to happen most when I am dealing with Mail or Safari, but there is not a ton of rhyme or reason to it.
    Thanks for the thread. This is really disappointing. I've been getting Macs since 1993. Hope they are not making the laptops as disposable as the iPhones ....

24. z06gal macrumors 6502

Same for me :)

25. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

me two... no noticeable slowdown... i think it's probably just the Eternal Flame