Random strangers called from my phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zoey1917, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Zoey1917 macrumors newbie

Today is the second time I have been approached by strangers who insist on knowing what I want. According to them, I have called them each excessively but I have no record of my phone dialing their numbers AT ALL when I checked my outgoing log.

The craziest thing is that I don't have them anywhere on my contact list and I have never dialed their number before.

One lady came into my office to see what I wanted and after finally tracking down who I was she and I both walked away knowing nothing.

Another man from my building left me a message the very net day identifying himself and demanding to know what I wanted. Again I had no idea what he was talking about but apparently my phone mass dialed him as well.

I'm beginning to lose my mind here. What is happening?????

Oh and another thing, phone was laying flat on my desk when it did all of it.

zoey

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

People can mask their called ID number and instead of showing their real phone number they can make it display any number they want.

3. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

that's very strange, i would call up your provider and see if they have any outgoing calls for you during those times.

i had a really weird experience with an imessage being sent from me to another one of my contacts with about 100 totally random words and it wasn't me. this happened about 2 weeks ago.

4. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

How? What app?

5. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Only on jailbroken devices I guess

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

It is also possible someone could have cloned your IMEI. However, it is strange that the two people who got calls one is in your building and another in your office. Maybe they are having a joke at your expense.

7. hharzer macrumors member

That is in no way related to an App, jailbroken device or IMEI.

It's pretty easy to use another caller ID, for example via VOIP service ( even Skype can do this). Mostly, you have to verify this outgoing number with a code ( SMS, call). But there are other ways to accomplish this.

I use this for both text messages and calls to send my number although I use a VOIP service ( much much cheaper rates ...) . Everyone thinks that I used my phone even though I called via PC / iPad. Pretty neat if you ask me ☺

Maybe someone authorised your number or found a way to use it without verification.

8. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Nowadays people steal phone number like they steal identities for but not always for quite the same nefarious purposes. They use them for various "illegal" telemarketing purposes in order to get around the DNC list.

It happened to me 4 months ago. I have a second (rarely used) number in my home which I have had for over 20 years. I came home one evening and found well over 100 messages on my answering service mostly filled with profanity laced calls asking me who the F I am and why I was calling.

It seems some overseas "pharmacy" got a hold of my number either randomly or from some stolen credit card list and has been calling 10's of thousands of people with the CID coming up with my number. (I discovered this by answering a couple calls and talking to the people who called).

Eventually I had to change this 20yr old number because it went on and on for 3 days. On a smaller level it's just as invasive as having your identity stolen. Giving up a phone number you've had for 20+ years without being able to forward it to the new number is very painful and can create a lot of problems.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Correct. This likely has NOTHING AT ALL to do with your phone. Very easy to spoof outbound CallerID from anywhere using online services. Someone's merely using what happens to be your phone number.

See http://lifehacker.com/5853056/how-to-spoof-caller-id