iPad mini Random Thoughts on iPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PBz, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PBz macrumors 6502a

So at the advice of an Apple Rep I did exchange my i5 as they said it was more crack than scratch and while I was there..... I just happened to have enough cash on me to grab an iPad Mini.

I have been raving over the Nexus 7 for weeks now and actually just sold my 16GB to upgrade to the 32GB Nexus 7. I love Jelly Bean on the Nexus 7. I figured with the return policy I would see how the iMini stacked up.

Based on EVERYthing we have read I was scared to turn the Mini on.. I am surprised I even opened it today to be honest.

When I did I sat it right next to my N7 to do some comparisons on a graphic-heavy site. The main things I noticed is that yes, the pixel-density IS better on the N7 BUT the N7 loaded the mobile version of the page as auto, it is noticeably thinner (now) and the N7 loaded most sites slower than the iMini.

Being 1000% honest (and I am pretty OCD) you have to be pretty dern picky to find fault with the text. No, it isn't retina but it looks really good and all the apps I tried (Kindle, Safari, Atlantic, etc) all read very well IMO.

Hardware/build comparison... we know the answer here. I love the N7 but iMini hardware is gorgeous other than it looking like a HUGE Samsung Note (admit it). Seriously.. the metal and edges are nice touches. The light weight is awesome. I swear my 32GB N7 is heavier than my 16GB and I would not have thought weight would have been added.

In the end I am still not decided but am definitely giving the iMini more of a shot. It is little things like the 1Password app where you cannot create/edit on the N7 while you can do so that muddy the N7 experience. Also, Google may call their software butter but NOTHING on the N7 is as smooth as the iMini IMO.

Just my thoughts after a few hours.

2. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Thanks for your honest opinion. This is why Apple has told us on numerous occasions to not focus on the specs, but rather the overall experience. The whole is really greater than just the sum of the parts.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I agree, and using the mini in landscape makes the text look just fine.

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Honestly I feel once Apple makes the iPad 5, there will be a lot of people who will go back to the 9.7" because Apple will make the iPad 5 thinner and lighter so the complaints the people have with the iPad 1-4 of being too heavy and hard to hold with one hand will be solved when Apple makes a lighter iPad 5.

THEN people would start wanting back the bigger screen along with the added feature of it being lighter for them to hold.

5. PBz thread starter macrumors 6502a

For me it isn't the weight as much as the being able to hold in one-hand with my palm on the back versus fingers holding the edge. I can't (maybe Shaq can) do this and the smaller tablet profile is nice in this regard. You don't have to be sitting up in bed or have it propped up.. I feel like I can sit/lie however and just hold in one hand.

I also forgot to mention that I feel like two-handed typing in portrait mode works very well, better than I expected.

6. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Yes I understand that you can hold the iPad mini back side with your entire hand and I know that is why a lot of people like it but whats wrong with holding the iPad with a few fingers on the back and your thumb on the side when holding the 9.7" iPad once it gets thinner and lighter?

Once the iPad gets light enough to be held with one hand without your arm hurting after awhile then people will find the iPad as not so heavy anymore and more travel friendly.

I do have to agree with you on the typing as I can guess that typing on the mini is probably much easier than the 9.7" iPad as one doesn't have to stretch their thumbs so far.

But that's why there is a split feature with the iPad for the keyboard.

7. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Even after the full size iPad gets a weight reduction it still cannot fit in a jacket pocket/purse which many people who like the 7" rave about.

8. sjn419 macrumors regular

I havent been concerned with the display quality personally, I need a tablet for school and the minis size is the main factor for me. This said, I heard the mini's ppi was 163. I just looked up what the iphone 4s's ppi just to get an idea and wikipedia says the first three generations of iphone had 163 ppi also. Are there any other factors that would affect its appearance? is ppi not a good measure to compare? because the old 3g screens are a world of difference to what we're used to. they're of poor quality for todays standards

9. PBz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I would not use the word "poor" at all to describe the screen of the iMini. When you put it next to the Nexus 7 you can see that the pixel density is better on the N7 but it isn't like the iMini is horrid or unreadable. The text looks fine but is definitely not retina. Check them out at a store and you can make your own decision but poor the screen is not IMO. I will say that while the iMini pixel density is not as high as the N7 there is something about the iMini screen that holds its own... cannot put my finger on it...not sure if it is the wider screen or what.. maybe if I made my N7 text greater than 100% but the text defaults to a nicer size for me on the iMini.

Just my $0.02.

10. sjn419 macrumors regular

how would you compare it to a iphone 3g? Btw, Im out of the country till christmas break so Ill have to wait till then to get my dirty mitts on one to play

11. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

If Apple came out with a redesigned iPad retina, iPad mini sales would not be so high i bet. I love the look of the mini but its inside are lacking while the insides of the retina are great but the outside look is lacking.

12. bogatyr macrumors 65816

My 3GS is faded straight on and way worse at angles. The mini has an IPS display with vivid color and good viewing angles. Night and day different from the 3GS in my opinion.

13. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Aside from Safari tabs and 3D games, the tablet runs everything I throw at it. Not sure how that is considered lacking.