Random Usage Over Night?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Dec 3, 2011.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

The other night I fully charged and backed up my phone to my MacBook, unplugged it, closed every open app, and put it at my bedside and went to bed. I randomly awoke at about 6:00-7:00am and noticed the battery was down to 78% somehow. So I checked the usage and it said it had been in use for 1hr 30min!? I doubled checked to see if any apps were open and literally not one was (other than settings now).

Where could this usage have come from and why? I found that very weird. I'm on a limited data plan too, so hopefully it wasn't anything big.

2. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Double check some stuff: are ALL location services listed under system services on? If so, consider turning off some... under diagnostics, make sure it's set to NOT send diagnostics to apple. (and for the sake of battery, check what's being backed up on iCloud...does every app really need to back it's bits up on iCloud?

3. HighFlyingBirds macrumors regular

HighFlyingBirds

I was finding the same thing, usage was always around half standby time, battery dropping between 20-30% overnight with usage being 2 hours plus!!!

Ive had my phone swapped due to network and sim card issues and I am now at standby 2 days 13 hours, usage 4 hours 6 minutes.

I have only used Siri, Twitter and the stock apps, nothing through the app store yet.

Out of curiosity, what apps have you been using? Do you use Facebook or any graphically intensive games?

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This has been discussed before and I've experienced this. If your usage is the same as your standby, then there are some tricks you may be able to do. These worked for me. Restore (you can restore from backup), reset all settings, turn off iCloud backup (you can manually do a backup every so often to keep it updated).

Try those, if you want. They worked for me. I was getting mine constantly, as soon as I charged to 100% and I didn't know if it was drop fast or if it would normal. I would need to do a hard reset a couple times to make it work. It was annoying.

Those methods worked for me for the last 2 weeks and counting.

5. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Only Cell Network Search is on.
    I usually just use Messages, Twitter, WWF, HWF, and sometimes Facebook, ScoreCenter, and Safari.

I don't really want to restore it again since this only happened this one times so far and I have iCloud off/deleted. I initially had poor battery and then did a restore and set up as new instead of backup and the battery was lasting much longer than it had. I was getting about 6-7 hours of usage. I feel like now when I check I'm usually only getting about 5.5 hours. Maybe I'll restore from backup instead of starting as new since I have a lot on this that I want now.