Random volume appearance.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scboxa, Dec 5, 2011.

1. scboxa macrumors member

Hey guys, just a question, a volume named xc randomly appeared yesterday and it was partitioned with 50gb. It's strange because I realized it there today, but it was last modified sunday 10:30 am...my gf was on the computer that time but all she does is go on facebook and would have no idea how to partition a drive anyways..she knows better not to mess around so im clueless as how it was created. Concerned, I ejected it, and ereased the partition from disk utility. After I rereased the partition, I was paranoid so I decided to try and erease my main disk volume to 'format', but the only problem is after the erease of the xc partition the erease option under the erease tab for my main volume is greyed out along with 'security options'...the only tab I can click under erease is 'erease free space'. Also, after deleting the partition xc, it left me with the remaining disk space which was 50 gb...so I wanted to re-size my main volume to cover the space left over from xc but it gives me the error 'could not modify partition map bcecause file system verification failed.'

thanks for any replies. appreciate it.!!:)

2. scboxa thread starter macrumors member

and to mention...my install disk for mac osx isnt being read. I try to insert it and it just makes noise and rejects it...the disk is basically mint and this happened only after this random volume appeared. Other cd's work which are in worse condition work perfect....old music cd's and a wc3 cd.