Random wakes--MacBook Pro. Wake Reason = ARPT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Davmeister, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Hi everyone

So my Macbook late 09 has Insomnia! I recently installed the Seagate Momentus XT drive but I don't think its related as far as I can tell from the console log.

I put my MBP to sleep last night at 2:16. It was quiet for about an hour and hour and 50 minutes and then it woke, with Wake Reason = RTC

I THINK this is for wake for network access. But it then slept a few moments later--this is normal behaviour I believe in SL.

But then 2 seconds later, it wakes with reason 'ARPT' and then doesn't sleep again...have a look:

05/12/2010 04:04:22 kernel System Sleep
    05/12/2010 04:04:24 kernel Wake reason = ARPT
    05/12/2010 04:04:24 kernel System Wake
    05/12/2010 04:04:24 kernel Previous Sleep Cause: 5

Any ideas?! Does ARPT mean airport?

Not hoping for much on this, but I wish it would stay asleep!

Thanks

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Is your 'Wake for Ethernet network access' enabled or disabled?

3. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Wake for network access is, yes. However as Apple's support document on this notes, it should wake (without display turning on) and then sleep again. As I noted, it is sleeping initially. At this point I assume normal behaviour, but then it wakes again and does not sleep this time. That is not normal behaviour.

The whole point of this option is that you can leave the computer asleep and then wake it when you need it...I never requested it to wake up!

Thanks for the reply though.

I'll turn that option off tonight and just confirm it is that which is waking it, and nothing to do with the new drive (some people have had sleep/wake issues)!

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's supposed to go back to sleep after a brief wake up. Both my iMac and MBP would wake up and the logon display would should sometimes, sometimes not. But it always went back to sleep. I eventually turned the feature off because I really didn't need it.

But when enabled, it will wake up on its own for a minute or so and that is normal.

5. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Yep, but after that second wake my computer will not resleep! That isn't normal, right?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Right, that's not normal.
    See what happens after disabling it. If it continues, then there is some other underlying issue causing this. Is it still under warranty?

7. Davmeister thread starter macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Yeh it is, but the drive is installed by me (seagate) and I've already sold the drive the MBP came with originally. If it is the drive I'll doubt they'll be able to help. Anyway I'll come back tomorrow after looking tonight to see if it wakes.

Thanks

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the same HDD in my MBP that I installed a couple of months ago. I don't have this problem, so I doubt it is the drive, but we'll see.