Random WiFi Disconnects

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chcameron, Jan 2, 2009.

1. chcameron macrumors newbie

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster... I've been looking around for a solution to this problem and saw a few things but I'm not sure if I found anything about this specific problem.

So I've got an iMac, and one of my roomates has a MacBook, and my other roomate is a Windows user. Anyway, me and my fellow Mac user experience brief connection timeouts during normal usage. We have a wireless network set up on a Linksys router. We just bought it a few months ago, so I'm sure it's up to date.

It's as if my iMac's Airport just loses the signal randomly, and the wifi meter goes down, I click it and it says "searching..." then in a few seconds rediscovers our network and reconnects. Then it works fine until it's next "phase"... :confused:

It's getting annoying, any help would be awesome, or even a push in the right direction.

Thanks a lot.

2. amandabates macrumors newbie

I used to have the same problem, until I bought an Airport Express. But try using the Terminal and type in ping -i 5 www.whatever.com replace whatever with a site that will let you ping it repeatitivly.

I'm sure it's not the best solution, but it always kept us connected.