Random Wireless Drops MBP15CD 2.16, 2gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Milanista, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Milanista macrumors newbie

Im using a MBP 15' CD, 2gb ram, week 25. I've had 0 wireless problems for 2 and a half years until randomly a few days ago, my wireless constantly drops and I can't get a stable signal anymore. My router is only about 5-10 meters away. It was fine and very strong up until a few days ago. I am running leopard with the latest update, and wireless was fine for ages until that day.

First thing I did was try other wireless networks that were usually fine -same thing, I have trouble connecting and can no longer get full bars. I then uninstalled or removed software I installed/downloaded that day, no difference. I then restarted and upgraded firmware on the routers, and did a software update for my MBP... no change. I changed the router channel to 8 and it improved a little bit, but still, poorer than before.

I did a safe boot, i used YASU, I did all that I could find on the web, but no changes.

Anyone know whats wrong? I'm still under warranty so ultimately I can get Applecare to sort me out, but I want to avoid giving my MBP away since I can't live without it. Thanks.

2. super_kev macrumors 6502

super_kev

You could try to access the airport card and check to make sure the antenna cable is plugged in securely.

3. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. By accessing do you mean opening up my MBP?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Huh??? :confused:

To the OP: Have you recently started using any other wireless device that could be causing interference? A cordless phone, etc.? Or are you close enough to a neighbor that something they have could be causing interference?

5. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, nothings changed. No new wireless accessories have been added. Only a bluetooth wireless keyboard for my MBP. But thats been off for a while and my bluetooth is turned off. I have always been able to find my neighbor's signals, but its never been a problem.

I have a feeling it might have to do with the heat from my MBP. As most of you know, the first batch of them reached 80C at peak performance. I'm bringing my MBP next month to Apple to sort that out.

If its a hardware issue, do you guys think Apple would be able to give me one of the 'n' cards?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't think it has anything to do with heat. Besides, 80C isn't out of the ordinary. Here are my temps (in F) from yesterday, when I was doing quite a few things simultaneously. Nothing out of the ordinary for a MBP.

Typically, if they have to replace anything, they replace it with original parts, not upgrades. Is your router an 802.11n? If not, having "n" capability won't help you any. Network speed is limited to the slowest device on the network.

Attached Files:

7. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

My router is g/b. I tried setting it to g only since my card is g, its helped the problem a bit - I get a stable signal - but its not as good as before (constantly full bars and top speeds).

About the heat - a month ago when I was at a genius bar for my battery, the guy said that for my generation of MBP, the heat I was getting was an issue and that my MBP should be serviced. I think they are planning to give me a new logic board, like many MBPs of my kind.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your router is g/b, then having n on your MBP would be a waste, since you'd never use it. Your max is g, since that's the router's max.

9. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

I read comments about people who swapped their airport cards for the new ones, and those using g said that their signal strength was much more stable than the old cards.

But the problem I have now is so frustrating - my wifi signal was always great and very fast, wtf is wrong with it!!!???:mad: Now I only get 2 or 3 out of 4 bars and random disconnects. It happens on other networks too, so I really don't know what else to try.

10. relsah macrumors newbie

The same thing happended to me when I did the last update for the OSX. it has been said here on the board that by adding 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 on your DNS will solve the problem.

Do you have WEP enabled on your router? If so, try using WPA instead. If it still fails, try to remove the WEP and WPA security for now until Apple comes up with a patch for the OSX. I've heard that the latest update has issues with the WEP and WPA encryption.

11. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using WPA. But the weird thing is that even after the update, my MBP was fine for several weeks, so I'm not sure if its related to it. Unfortunately I can't risk having no security on my network, I have a lot of information and our neighbors are very close to us.

I've just added those DNS values, will see how that goes.

Edit- didnt change anything:(

12. relsah macrumors newbie

try removing the network from the keychain access list

13. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

14. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Microwave ovens play havoc with b/g wifi

I have said it before and I will repeat. If there is a microwave oven in use within 50 feet of your laptop, it may be contributing to the problem.

In our house, I set adjacent to the kitchen (in a family room) and every time the microwave oven was working, my connection would go dead.

It is a little less of an issue since I switched to N spec. The frequency is different for N than b/g - 5 gigahertz instead of 2.4 ghz.

15. Milanista thread starter macrumors newbie

I highly doubt that is the issue. The wireless was always fine before, like I said in the first post, and upstairs we have not introduced anything new like a wireless phone or microwave. It just happened one day that the wireless messed up.