Randomly Shutting Down Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rbortner, Feb 11, 2010.

1. rbortner macrumors newbie

My Macbook is 1.5 years old (13in, white, 2 GHz). About two weeks ago, it would randomly shut off. It would restart fine, but shut off sooner. Sometimes, it wouldn't even restart. Now, it's at the point where when I power it on, it rarely restarts past the white apple start-up screen.

My thought is that it is overheating. Are there any more ideas? What can I do to save my macbook?

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Try booting off a DVD (The SL one will be good) to see if it's an OS problem, or Hardware problem.

If it boots of the DVD then you're HDD OS is probably corrupted and requires a reformat and reinstallation of OS X.

If it still stuffs up, then the issue is likely hardware so you might need to consider taking it to the Geniuses at the apple store, unless your warranty is gone in whcih case open it up to see if there is dust near the vents. Then try again.

Let us know how it goes.

3. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Sounds like a heat issue and its shutting down to prevent melt down. Install smcfancontrol to keep it cooler. If that doesn't work, time to get it checked out.