Randomly Turning on with tvOS 11.4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cavemonkey50, Jun 3, 2018.

1. cavemonkey50 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else experiencing their Apple TVs randomly turning on with tvOS 11.4?

I have two Apple TV that are setup in rooms which each have a HomePod. Since updating to 11.4, I’m randomly seeing my Apple TVs on when I walk by. This is not because of AirPlay 2, as this seems to be happening both when the HomePods are in use and when nothing is being played.

I’m familiar with the voice commands now available to play music on Apple TVs, but everytime I’ve noticed this issue, nothing is playing and no commands were issued to start playing music.

Any ideas?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I don't think this is a new issue. I have 3 ATVs (2 ATV4's & 1 ATV4K) and this odd issue you describe has been happening to me on all of them for a long time. I don't know what it is or what triggers it, but its not unique to 11.4.

3. cavemonkey50 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I maybe had this happen once or twice before, but since updating to 11.4 it seems to be occurring on each TV at least once per day.

4. nrvna76, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  5. anthonyzp macrumors member

yep happening with BOTH our ATV's 4th Gen since updating to tvOS 11.4. Prior to the update, no issues. Now the TV's turn on by themselves at random times which isn't good.

Have turned off the remote feature in settings for now so Apple TV can't power the TV off and on for the time being until a fix is released. Annoying as I have to use TV remote to turn TV on and off now.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68040

Have you tried to turn off the Background App Refresh in preferences?
    I have it off since the beginning of aTV 4K and I do not see it turning on by itself.

7. anthonyzp macrumors member

Tried everything. Reset to factory. Background Refresh Off. Force quit all apps etc. Apple TV's turn on by themselves at random times since tvOS 11.4 update.

My feeling is perhaps something Wifi related is 'waking' up the ATV's. In any case this wasn't happening prior to tvOS 11.4.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Background app refresh actually makes sense to me why the light comes on at times. When I turn the TV on its getting no signal from the ATV. So perhaps its half-waking up and downloading app updates. I dunno.

As for it being related to WiFi, I'm leaning toward no. Two of my ATV's are on WiFi and one is on Ethernet and they all have the same behavior.

Its weird I think, but it really doesn't bother me at all.

9. danieleilertsen macrumors regular

danieleilertsen

this is becoming a big problem. apple should fix it...

10. anthonyzp macrumors member

After force quitting all apps then restarting the ATV, we haven't had any problems since. Been a few days now. It may start happening again though who knows. Fingers crossed and hopefully you can temporarily fix the issue like I have.