Randomness on the iPod Shuffle

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mysterytramp, Apr 4, 2009.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Just how random are the picks on the iPod shuffle? My main time to use my iPod is during my hour-plus commute. Seems like every trip the iPod gets stuck on playing all Bruce Springsteen, or all Stones, or all Dylan ...

There's no chance the artists/labels are encoding the tunes so they play more often than other tunes is there?

mt

2. Matthew. macrumors regular

Do you rate your songs on iTunes? If you do, you should check that the "Play higher rated songs more often" box isn't checked on the list of music on your shuffle in iTunes, as that would cause certain songs to be played more frequently.

3. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

That setting is not checked, which is part of what prompted the question.

mt

4. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Maybe you just didn't turn on random playback?

That said, sometimes the playlist doesn't really get randomized, and the Shuffle starts playing the exact playlist as a day before.

5. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

It's definitely on random ...

And a coworker mentioned the same thing to me tonight, so at least some folks have noticed.

Mathematically, it's certainly possible that seemingly nonrandom sequences to appear in a random sequence, but damned if this doesn't seem to happen almost every day. Weird.

mt

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

The shuffle likes to use roughly the same order of songs everytime, for some reason. Though there shouldn't be the same artists playing in a row, but it is possible.