Rangemax Smart mimo wireless router- should I Buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Coretmanus, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Coretmanus macrumors newbie

Hello

Recently my Brother and I have moved into the granny flat located next to my house.

currently the house is using a Airport extreme N series wireless router, but the router doesnt reach 'The Barn' (the granny flat).

Ive been told that the NETGEAR RANGEMAX™ SMART MIMO WIRELESS
    ROUTERS – WPN824 (yes i did copy and paste that, hence the font :p) would reach The Barn with no issues, but what i would like to know is whether the Rangemax would connect to my MacBook, my brothers MacBook and the iMac in the house. all three are running on leopard at this moment in time.

would I need to buy extra wireless cards? or would the wireless cards inside my MacBook connect to the Rangemax?

thanks very much

Kyle

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Are all of the computers on your network 802.11N? To get the range benefits of your current network the devices need to be 802.11N or it will default to 802.11G or 802.11B if you have old network hardware.

As for the Rangemax with MIMO you would likely need a matching Rangemax card with MIMO for your Grandma otherwise it would default to 802.11G without the increased range (Rangemax with MIMO is proprietary not an standard like 802.11B/G). This wireless network would also need to run seperately from your current network otherwise it would again default to standard 802.11G. The networks can be wired together you would just have to have one router act as the router while the other as an access point.

You may also be able to add an Airport Express closer to your Grandmas barn. However, I am uncertain if it can act as a wireless repeater or if it would have to be hardwired to your network then act as an Access Point.