Rank 4 Memory in a Mac Pro.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by NeuromancerOverdrive, Apr 18, 2017.

1. NeuromancerOverdrive, Apr 18, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2017

NeuromancerOverdrive macrumors newbie

NeuromancerOverdrive

I am thinking of upgrading memory in my Mac Pro 4,1 single processor and I am wondering if anyone has tried or knows of any negative effects of using rank 4 Memory? I have spent a few hours on the Web and all I could find was that most Max Pro approved memory modules are dual rank (rank 2). I also read on a couple sites that higher rank memory chips can reduce your max ram capacity. I don't quite understand the meaning of rank nor if it effects a Mac Pro. Any help will be appreciated.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I don't know about capacity, but quad ranked RAM can reduce speed. Is there some reason why you're looking into quad ranked RAM instead of the usual recommended dual rank?

3. NeuromancerOverdrive thread starter macrumors newbie

NeuromancerOverdrive

Just price. I found some memory modules for a great price and I was going to pull the triger, but I saw they were 4R rather than the normal 2R. That's when I tried to find out, to no avail, what repercussions quad ranked memeory may have in a 4,1- 5,1 mac pro.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

The most common repercussion I've seen around here is that 1333 RAM will run at 1066 if you used a combination of quad-ranked RAM and too many sticks. But I don't know what the limit is. User @bokkow was working on a memory guide and might know more.

I would just get the correct stuff and not worry about it. Unless the savings was massively substantial.

5. carpsafari macrumors 6502

carpsafari

I can confirm, from experience, that quad ranked ram will run as 1066Mhz, not 1333Mhz.

6. NeuromancerOverdrive thread starter macrumors newbie

NeuromancerOverdrive

OK Thanks. That is what they have them listed as 1066mhz. They are 16GB modules 4R4. Anyone know anything else about quad rank memory in a 4,1 Mac Pro?