Rank the battery draining Touch applications/actions.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by UCLA-Bruin, Feb 22, 2008.

1. UCLA-Bruin macrumors member

UCLA-Bruin

I can't seem to get much battery life out of my touch. Most of the time I am listening to a podcast while surfing the net. I also have mail set up on my touch. Secondly, after you have opened a lot of applications (stocks, weather, mail, etc.), does it help the battery life to do a full iPod reset?

thank you!

2. jbarr macrumors regular

I don't have a ranking, but here are the things/actions that cause battery drain:
    • WiFi use
    • High Brightness setting
    • Leaving WiFi turned on (It REALLY needs a native WiFi "toggle" app similar to WiFiSwitch.)
    Other than those, my IPT keeps going and going....

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I'm sorry, thats like stating you want the TV remote bringing closer to you, because you can't be bothered getting up to change the channel.

Wifi toggling is as easy as:

Settings > Wifi > On/Off

It's simple, as it is. Thats an improvement I feel isn't needed in the slightest.

R-Fly

4. jbarr macrumors regular

I completely disagree. Why hobble a device when you can easily improve its usability?

Building on your illustration, consider when you watch TV. Would you rather turn on your TV, turn on your home theater system, and turn on your DSS receiver, or would you rather pick up your remote and tap a single "power on" button? Why do you think remotes like Harmony remotes are so popular?

In the grand scheme of things, obviously it's a minor request, but improving overall usability should be a high goal.

5. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

WI/FI and video battery usage aside, I have wondered about applications draining battery life.

While notes probably does little to the battery, Google Maps is a powerful application. So, what I am wondering is how:

---Apple applications, including maps and even a paused piece of music, take away from battery life.

---3rd party apps take away from battery life, both...
    ---When you are using them, i.e. playing the NES simulator or using the to-do list
    ---When then are not being used but may not be shut off completely

---Does exiting out of an application stop its battery usage? Does holding down the home key until it force quits it? Does restarting your ipod and not opening the applications.

For most of this, I don't expect that any consumers have definitive answers. It would be nice if apple expanded on this information. They failed to do so far in presentations like the iphone (same deal, pretty much) workshop at Macworld but they might with the upcoming SDK.

6. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Indeed, I believe it is, but this can be achieved in other more effective ways, than this one.

Wasting space on a 'shortcut' icon to any, built in menu or preferences panel is crazy impo, especially when the implemented menu is a mere 2 touches away.

Your right in saying the goal should be to improved the device, but improving the device is not necessarily seen as making a device simpler. Adding more useful functionality and main features, but simplicity? - I don't think it's on Apple's list of priorities, seen as though, a 4 year old can use this platform.

Just my opinon.

R-Fly