Rant about Bootcamp (contains unnecessarily large amounts of profanity)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lautzki, Oct 18, 2014.

1. lautzki macrumors regular

Hello.

I got my new 11-inch MacBook Air yesterday. My first Mac, apart from a Hackintosh I had. I ****ing love it. It's hands down the best computer I've ever owned. As much as I hope OS X would suffice, no - I'm an economics student, minoring in information systems science, so I need a laptop that will run Visual Studio. Okay, so I need Windows. Should be easy with Bootcamp... or not.

First of all, I had an ISO that had both 32/64bit Windows' in it, and that ****Camp apparently doesn't allow installing a 32bit Windows anymore. I*WASN'T*GOING*TO ANYWAY!!! So an hour of playing with the terminal and plists and stuff and downloading developer tools that I don't even need, I got it to work. Well, sort of...

After another hour of battling with trying to boot the USB, I discovered the damn USB must be in the RIGHT USB-port in order to work. What the ****? Does the Moon have to be in a certain position in the sky too? Doesn't make any sense, now does it?

The struggle continues - I successfully install Windows, however it is rendered useless, as the keyboard and mouse isn't working. Tried this three times with different USB ports, different drivers, different yoga positions, what have you. Oh my god... THERE*ARE*A*TON*OF*DRIVERS*IN*THE*SUPPORT*DRIVERS!! How I'm supposed to know which one is right?

So, now I try to obtain a new ISO file and use the automated all-in-one boot USB maker-support driver -thingy. I hope this goes all well, should have done this from step one... God damn I'm a stupid *******.

4 hours wasted just to use this piece of **** they call an OS (Windows). And don't tell me there are some alternatives. Lol, emulate Visual Studio on Mac? No thanks.

Btw, what's up with my Bluetooth? My iPhone keeps telling me that the MacBook Air is not supported. What is this ****? Is this some iOS 8 nonsense again, do I need Yosemite to use the ****ing Bluetooth? Also, why can't I make a wifi hotspot with my iPhone? Only allows using the damn USB cable.

I need some serious help.

2. macenied, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Did you install the BootCamp drivers in Windows ? In case you did not, find the instructions in the apple support pages.

WIFI hotspot is working with iOS 8.0, 8.0.1 and 8.0.2.

3. lautzki thread starter macrumors regular

I got it to work (finally) by getting my hands on a new ISO. The 32/64bit ISO was a bit sketchy I think. I installed the ISO on the same USB as the support drivers. All is fine now, thank god.