Rant about gf's computing choice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gloryofgreece, Feb 18, 2008.

1. gloryofgreece macrumors member

As a newly convert mac "fanboy", I begin to realize how special mac is and feel proud in being mac-user. My gf basicaly spends all the money buying sony vaio notebook, which i think is worthless :eek:.

I tried to tell how cool macs, but she rather just want the iphone :cool:,but not the macbook (so I can give it to her and have her buy the macbook pro when new ones comes out :D)...but she does not like the so-called "one-button mouse", OS X :eek:.......arrrg.

But she thinks mac are pretty sexy tho.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

OSX supports 2 button mice... and actually, the mighty mouse has 2 (if not more) buttons ....

The laptop button below the touch pad is only 1 thing, but if you push control (i think)first, then it acts as a right click...

3. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Mighty Mouses are pretty common these days...:rolleyes:

You can control click to right click if you just have the single clicker bar thing.

4. klymr macrumors 65816

You can set it up so that when you place two fingers on the trackpad and then click the button it does the same thing as the Crrl+click, or right click for the windows users. VERY handy if you ask me.

5. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

explain it to her once, if she keeps complaining don't force it she will get it and then she'll hate it and blame it on you (because well it would be your fault)...

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

hey, don't say windows users... OSX, and apple products have right click too

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or just have two fingers on the trackpad.

8. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

The whole "Mac don't right click" must be one of the oldest and misinformed myths out there :rolleyes:

9. Keebler macrumors 68030

you should change the title to 'gf's poor computing choice so i can't get a new one' :)

I would cut her off. no sex until she smartens up :)

10. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

haha ... who could go longer ? :rolleyes:

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I wouldn't know... I just installed Ubuntu on my GF's laptop this weekend :D aaaaaaand she loves it. Spent all day yesterday customizing it to. Of course everything has a nice purple hue to it, but it sure beats windows (and all the reinstalls we had to do).

12. martychang macrumors regular

Yep, my Mom just got a new Acer lappy for basic internet browsing, and I set it up with Zenwalk Linux, not a peep of complaint, it runs smooth, and no junk in her way. Also doesn't take two full minutes to boot :p

13. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If she is happy with her vaio then why does it matter?

14. klymr macrumors 65816

I was talking in a general sense. In OS X it's considered a secondary click anyway. The only thing that comes close to a right-click is the mighty mouse that you can set up to detect which half of the mouse you are clicking. It technically doesn't have a right button on top to "right-click."

Attached Files:

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

I actually find that the two finger click is much easier than having two buttons. I can't stand to use PC notebooks anymore with their small trackpads and two buttons.

16. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I love the two-finger tap. If you already have two fingers above the trackpad for scrolling, you just have to set them down. Much more natural than clicking a second button on the bottom. :)

17. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

If ur gf knows nothing about osx, then dont even try to convince her until shes done her research. It would be quite bad if she got a mac and had no idea what she was doing, wouldn't it?

18. bstreiff macrumors regular

Well, the two-finger tap isn't not quite as obvious as, say, having two mouse buttons. People just see the single giant button on the trackpad and assume that they can't right-click with it.

19. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Well if it's a Vaio TZ then I wouldn't have a problem. Anything else though..

20. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

It took me one full night 'til 5AM to convince my girlfriend to get a Mac. She's super happy now with her decision.