Rant about lion's screen recoding restriction.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Sixtafoua, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Sixtafoua macrumors 6502

Sixtafoua

Hey guys,
    I've been converting my old home videos into digital format for the past month or so, and Lion has presented a problem for me. Basically, my old home videos are DVDs, and applications like handbreak take way too long to convert, in my case, handbreak takes around twice realtime to convert. I knew there was a better way of doing this, so i decided to make screen recordings of my videos while they played in DVD player. Quicktime wouldn't let me record DVD player, as it replaced the video playing with a gray box. Since quicktime wasn't going to work, I downloaded a third party screen recording app. It was working well in snow leopard, but in lion, it appears as if apple has blocked third party screen recorders from recording the DVD player.
    It seems like apple is putting these restrictions on to prevent copyrighted material from being digitized, but how does apple have any legal obligation to block screen recordings of the DVD player? It would be the fault of the user if they abused the screen recorder to record copyrighted material, apple would not be involved legally if a user were to digitize copyrighted material, so why does apple care? Users like me, who want to convert their own home movies are left in the dark with no way of getting their movies digitized. It seems like apple should be cracking down on applications like handbreak, that blatantly allow movies to be digitized, not third-party screen recorders, which have more purposes than just converting movies.
    I'm sick of apple cracking down on things they have no part in, users should be able to do what they want, and deal with the consequences if they abuse a privilege. Apple seems to be treating their users like a bunch of babies recently, from blocking jailbreaks to using tamper-resistant screws in the iPhone and Macbooks. If you want to jailbreak, it's your device that you paid for, you should be able to do what you want with it. And same with the tamper-resistant screws, you paid for that device, all the parts are yours, apple shouldn't be able to tell you that you can't open up the device you own.

Sorry if you made yourself read that whole thing, I just had to get it off my chest. :)

-K

2. cohen777 macrumors regular

I agree. I should be able to record my own DVD's on the Mac. I am the media team leader at my church and I often use Snapz to record short lengths of DVD's for use at the church. Just this week I had a missions video from a group who was going to speak at our church about Haiti and when I tried to make a screen recording for use the church's presentation software I figured out that OS X Lion was inhibiting the recording of a dvd with third party software. I found a solution, but Apple really has no business making it harder for people to record their own DVD's.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Apple IS obligated to prevent you from recording copyrighted material by using their software. Not only is it their job not to provide you with the tools necessary to record copyrighted material, it's their job to prevent you from using their tools to record copyrighted material. It'd be like giving a knife to someone you know wants to harm someone else. If you did that, and that person stabbed someone, you would be held liable as well as the person who did the stabbing.

However, I believe that Apple should make their software copyright-aware so that it does allow you to record non-copyrighted DVDs such as your home DVDs. Try using VLC to play your DVDs and see if it records there.

Honestly, though, you SHOULD just use HandBrake. You're going to get far, far higher quality with HandBrake. I know it takes longer, but it's completely worth it. If you're concerned about encoding time, look into the Elgato Turbo.264 HD, which will allow you to convert much faster than realtime.

4. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Have you considered setting queues and encoding overnight with handbrake?

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There is absolutely no way that Apple or any other software vendor can tell whether you are infringing copyright by recording or copying something.

e.g.

Is it a home video?

Is it a copyrighted video that has no copy protection on it?

Is the video copyrighted and copy protected, but you have permission to copy it for a specific purpose (express or implied)?

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Software obviously can't do situational analysis, but preventing DVDs that have copyright protection from being recorded via this method but allowing DVDs that don't have that protection would easily suffice.

7. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

10.7 Start of Apple "Big Brother" Policy For DVDs

I have 10.6 running on 2007 MBP and can capture anything from any of my personal DVDs by taking a snapshot of the screen or by using Screenflow to capture video/sound.

I bought a 2012 Mac Mini a few months ago which came with 10.8. I also bought the Apple Super Drive. Popped in one of my personal DVDs and tried to do the same thing that I have always have been able to do on 10.6 and ... blocked.

I guess personal DVDs are just considered "collateral damage" by Apple in this rather heavy handed approach to DRM.

Just another reason my MBP is staying with 10.6 (at least until I am done converting my DVDs to digital video.

8. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Not sure I understand the problem. There are plenty of apps for converting DVDs into movie files, like Handbrake.

Using screen recording to record a movie will produce a very low quality result.

If Handbrake is taking "twice a long as the movie", then either you're using the wrong settings or your computer is not powerful enough to do wha Handbrake has to do. Encoding video IS processor intensive. That's not a result of some Apple restriction.