Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
Like may here, I was planning to pick up an iPad 2 on launch weekend. I didn't want to wait in a crazy line (and had other plans on Friday night). I figured if I could get one over the weekend, great. Waiting a few days/weeks for things to settle down wouldn't be that big a deal either.

The quick sell-out doesn't bother me as it was a strong possibility. What is very frustrating is some of the crap retailers are pulling. There are other posts here about retailers allowing long lines when they had nowhere neat the stock to cover all the people. That's not right.

I went to my local Apple store this morning about 10:30. Already about 50 people on line. I asked the Apple employee at the front of the line if this was the ipad line. As she said yes, these two complete twits answer at the same time "no, the pope is here blessing iPads and we want to see." I bit my tongue... can't people mind their own business?

So I then ask the rep "do you have enough stock to cover the people waiting in line?" She shrugs her shoulders and says "no idea." The twits chime in with some sarcasm "no, we are all waiting here for no reason."

At which point I explain that I don't want to wait on a line if there is nothing to buy, which is what has happened at some retailers like Best Buy. The apple idiot makes a face and says "Ewww... why would you shop there? That's why you should shop at the Apple store." Apparently there is a reason they have this kid acting as a "line monitor" rather than dealing with customers inside the store.

So I wait in line for about 10-15 minutes with nothing happening. Then a rep comes out of the store and asks for the "next person for a 16BG wifi." Hmmm... what's that about? I ask the person in front of me if she knows how the line works. No one around me does. Finally, someone near the front of the line hears us talking and explains they only have a few 16GB wifi models. Seems everyone (at least those who were told how the line works) is standing there on the possibility that a shipment may arrive today.

I don't have a problem with that. But why the heck couldn't the idiot managing the line explain that when I asked her a direct question? Once we found this out, myself and 4-5 others left.

I was going to give up, but my wife decided to call some Verizon stores (I want a 64GB Verizon model). Some had white available, but I want black.

Finally get someone on the phone at a mall about 40 minutes away (Verizon store). They have 3 in stock. At first they say they can't hold them, but then ask for my name and say to see them when I get there.

I decide to take the drive. I get there and ask for the person. She acknowledges that my wife called and says she will be with me as soon as she is done with her current customer. I ask "you still have it" and she says "yes." Sounds good.

As she is finishing with her customer, she asks another employee to go get something. He comes back with a white 64GB. She looks at it and says something about "we have 3." He says "we are not allowed to sell those."

She then come to me and says they had 5 when I called but all sold (and they can't hold them). "But the white one is the same thing." I told her forget it.

Pretty insulting that she thinks I didn't hear the conversation about the three in the back they "are not allowed to sell," which are the ones she originally told me were available. What a completely avoidable waste of my time.

I can't believe the BS games these retailers play. Just say "not in stock" instead of wasting people's time.

FWIW, If anyone is looking a 64GB White Verizon model, a few of the Verizon stores on Long island (NY) have them.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I get your frustration with smarty pants, but I think everybody was not allowed to open the boxes until 5 p.m. That's what happened at the Target I went to. The guy was straight with the five of us there -- wish I could've broadcast that news to the throngs at the Apple Store -- and said he didn't know what he had but there weren't going to be many and there would be no accessories.

So 5 p.m. hit and he opened the box. Only 64GB white WiFi. I expected WiFi, white was a pleasant surprise. Kinda shocked by only 64GB. I went ahead and got it since I wanted 32 and it was only going to cost about $60 more than finding any other store with the exact model I wanted since I used a Target credit card for 5 percent off.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
That is more a rant on the stupidity and ignorance of retail employees. Its pathetic that employees like this are hired and put in front of customers. Worse that retail training seems to no longer exist.

If you working the line, you should know whats going on in the store. If you are working the phone you should not make promises without confirming with a manager.

This might have not been the best timing to protest at the verizon store but certainly would have gotten the manager and protested.

I generally get a lot of concessions when I do.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
yes we all know most of the situations that happened yesterday could have been solved if they allowed reserving. as it was you can't blame the individual apple stores. even if someone there new how many of each model they have they would of had to go to each person in line and ask and keep track of them that way.

as for the verizon store that happens all the time i also work in retail big sale on items with only a few left 1 person talks to someone about item doesn't mark the item or tell the other salespeople till another salesperson almost sells item from under them.

jrm21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
That is more a rant on the stupidity and ignorance of retail employees. Its pathetic that employees like this are hired and put in front of customers. Worse that retail training seems to no longer exist.

If you working the line, you should know whats going on in the store. If you are working the phone you should not make promises without confirming with a manager.

This might have not been the best timing to protest at the verizon store but certainly would have gotten the manager and protested.

I generally get a lot of concessions when I do.

Exactly my point. Retail continues to get worse and the level of employee competence is amazingly low. Telling people as they get in line "we are out of stock" isn't, in my opinion, asking too much.

I could have complained at Verizon but didn't see the point. It looked like the manager was the one that wasn't allowing the stock to be sold. He is probably hold the units for his friends. I can not bring myself to complain at a store to get them to take my money. They should be working to get my business not the other way around. I am not in a big rush to get an Ipad and have no problem waiting.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
Exactly my point. Retail continues to get worse and the level of employee competence is amazingly low. Telling people as they get in line "we are out of stock" isn't, in my opinion, asking too much.

I could have complained at Verizon but didn't see the point. It looked like the manager was the one that wasn't allowing the stock to be sold. He is probably hold the units for his friends. I can not bring myself to complain at a store to get them to take my money. They should be working to get my business not the other way around. I am not in a big rush to get an Ipad and have no problem waiting.

its one thing to tell people we are out of stock its entirely another if they don't know if they will have enough.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD

Why not complain? He's not doing his job well, and should know he's not allowed to save units for friends, family, or whoever. I would have gone up to him directly and told him I heard he's saving them, then I would I said I'd either like to buy of the units he's saving or I'd like his name so I can complain to Verizon HQ and Apple.

Even if you are just trying to give them your money there's no reason to make it easy for the manager to cheat the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.