Rant and non ranty stuff on people labels

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yoyo5280, May 30, 2008.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Yes, this is a rant. I know majority of you probably dislike rants because they are always complaints and this is no exception, but there is a question behind my child like whinging.

Welcome to my rant on People Labels

Yes people labels. The things you usually get stuck with in middle or high school. For example I have had many, one of which being Hippy, another Emo.

I am curious to how people label them selfs and others. When txting my good friend (well good friend until we got into a row after skool today. not sure what we are at the moment) about it all she asked me was how I would label my self and her.

For myself I said it was to complicated. I said that sure im geeky (mac addiction) but still all my m8ts arent and sure im anti war and peace loving but I hate hippy style. I said I thought about emo because they are more emotion not force peace style but I don't like the whole life sucks cut your wrists poetry shi!z (even though im pretty angry/depressed right now). I told her I have no idea what I am

I also thought long and hard about her but once again could not find a label that would fit her.

We concluded that labels are a complete waste of time and should be burnt in hell because nobody seems to fit them... People are 3 dimensional and there is much more to them the then the paper thin lable put on somebody... so my questions are

Who do you know that actually takes labels seriously?

and

Have you ever been labeled or label your self? If so what where they, if you are willing to share

Boy I sound obsessed with this but macrumors is one of my favorite places to do this kinda stuff because my voice is heard and the replies, though sometimes hurtful, are usually smart and educated.

I just need to spill

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was totally gangsta, and everyone was afraid of me. They kept calling me "da bouse". I hated that. I just told them to shut the f*** up. Luckily, I never heard a word from them again, so I put my piece down and let things be.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't think labels are worth getting upset about ;)

Though your being in school probably makes that more difficult, everything is serious end of the world stuff then. You'll soon forget to give a crap.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Yeah I agree, stuff like that is stupid, but it dont really matter, if other people want to label themselves them let them, each to their own.

Someone asked me what I was and I was like "what?" and they said "well emo or wot" and I just had no clue TBH.

Plus, I think stuff like that in schools that everyone thinks is important is stupid, I just dont care about it at all.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I try to label myself as a sophisticated, erudite, witty raconteur.

I fail miserably! :D ;)

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

In general, it really doesn't pay to care what people think (unless it's your family or close friend, then you might consider what they say, if what they say is construed as constructive criticism).

However I think it depends on what they say in the first place, and if you only hear it from the same person or whether you have several people tell you the same thing independently. eg: If you someone tells you something about yourself you're not crazy about, consider the context and how well you know them and trust them to be honest (or how much you give a damn what they think anyway). If it's only one person, I'd forget it. If you hear similar stuff from a few people, and you don't like what you hear or yourself see room for improvement, give it some thought.

Part of friendship, and just getting along with people in general, is either to a degree accepting them and to a degree trying to be a better person yourself. It's all a matter of context and who says what that would make me stop and consider.

m2(3, 4 etc)c.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've never known my label. I'm too awkward for anything like that.

Which doesn't mean I'm emo. :p far from it.

WTF why can't people just be themselves now. I only finished high school 8 years ago it can't have changed so much that you can only communicate with people in your own label and fear everyone else.

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

me stupid: What's emo?

ps I've been labeled as 'classist' but only dumb, uneducated people with no sense of sophistication would say that anyway.. :p

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I have no problems with "old fart".

Quite apropos, actually. :D

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Same as goth, basically.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

thanky.

If you're labeled as emo/Goth, then I think it goes with the territory that you don't give a crap about what people think anyway.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I think everyone thought I was a complete nob-end to be honest.

Proving that not much has changed :D

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Maybe times have changed, but I remember goths dressing better.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Someone like raggedjimmi, but one who cries more often.

15. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

Yeah, labels are a crock. Never let anyone else define you with a label. Be yourself and allow yourself to figure out who that is a day at a time, as time goes on. The only lockdowns about who "you really are" are the ones you invent.

You are the one person with whom you absolutely must spend the rest of your life. So, do you want to spend every morning starting out by wondering what face to put on for the rest of the world, one person at a time? You will never remember which lies to tell whom all day long. Life can be difficult, but gee, don't make it impossible!

It's more fun to be yourself --an evolving self-- and let other people figure out how to respond to you as you grow. Why react to a label if you didn't stick it on yourself? Why stick a label on yourself if you believe that labels are demeaning and constricting?

16. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Im glad that most of you share my hate for people labels...Im curious to know why they are such a big deal in school. So far everybody i spoke too thinks they are dumb but they use them.

17. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

"Gay" is also a label.

Just sayin. ;)

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there is a label for everything, why? because its pointless but makes others feel better for some reason. ignore them and move on, you'll always be dealing with them

19. pooky macrumors 6502

I'm curious how one could get labeled as both hippie AND emo. They seem so mutually exclusive...

Imagine someone being labeled as both beatnik and redneck. Or gangbanger and yuppie. Or intelligent and republican...

It just doesn't make sense.

20. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hahahahaha...funny

You know im not particularly sure. Its just names that I have been called so often...It started that everybody thought I was a hippy player (wtf?) but then that toned down at the same time I was getting real stressed and depressed and shniz and then the name emo came. Just for a little bit... THen when things started evening out and I became hippy again...

annoying.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's because these kids don't know what the words actually mean.

22. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I just stick with the normal labels I am given by society: smart, attractive, witty, funny, successful, amazing, the best, better than sliced bread, etc.

You know, the stuff people say behind my back! :p

23. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Whiny

24. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Mine's "******" but that doesn't worry me, 'cause so are most of my friends.

KGB

25. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

When you get out of Highschool, it won't even matter.