Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I can't stand the move to monochrome icons in Aperture...consistent UI with the bland Finder icons, but I wish Apple wasn't taking the OS and their apps in this direction. It would be nice to at least have a choice in preferences to bring the color back.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
I can't stand the move to monochrome icons in Aperture...consistent UI with the bland Finder icons, but I wish Apple wasn't taking the OS and their apps in this direction. It would be nice to at least have a choice in preferences to bring the color back.

I agree. It makes me feel like I have the infamous "greyed out" options for all of my albums....

Anyways, why pay for a color screen if the UI is in B+W?? :D

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
I guess the idea is that the only colour should be in your photos to make them stand out more.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I see why they did it. Make judging color in the photo easier if there is none elsewhere. For once they picked function over style.

HLX

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
It's something they're doing a lot at the moment and I'm a little torn as to whether it always works (eg the Finder), it does seem to make Aperture feel a little cleaner and put focus on your photos. And gone is that smudgy yellow colour it was so fond of.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I guess the idea is that the only colour should be in your photos to make them stand out more.

I agree, and I like it.

We're desensitized to colors in our images when they appear elsewhere.

The Aperture certification book actually starts out by telling you to paint your walls a neutral gray. LOL.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I see why they did it. Make judging color in the photo easier if there is none elsewhere. For once they picked function over style.

I hadn't thought of that (I'm obviously not a pro). For those experienced in working with photos professionally or as high-end amatuers, does it really make a difference in judging color?

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I hadn't thought of that (I'm obviously not a pro). For those experienced in working with photos professionally or as high-end amatuers, does it really make a difference in judging color?

Meh, that's an excuse looking to justify the poor decision, IMHO. The color was far from distracting. It was a great way to convey information and make it easier to differentiate controls and features. Like the difference between a smart album and a regular album. I really feel it was wrong to get rid of the color in Lion and other apps, and it is Apple taking their "simplicity" and elegance design theory to far. It might look prettier from an artistic standpoint, but it is less usable.

You want no distractions for looking at color? Go full screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.