Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I noted this as a rant. But actually, it's a pointless rant.

Anyway, one thing that annoys me about Apple's notebooks is how cheap and plasticy the keyboard feels. This also extends to their desktop keyboards. The keys are shaped, smooth plastic. Now, I know this really doesn't matter at all in terms of usability, but Apple is all about aesthetics, and thus it seems very "un-Apple" to supply such a crap quality keyboard that almost immediately begins to show ugly signs of wear and tear. Finger oils, uneven "shininess," etc. I know quite a few people get bothered by this and attempt to clean the keys, to no success.

Now, other vendors like HP and Sony have solved this problem by either a) making the keys out of a different material (my Sony Vaio P netbook has aluminum keys) or b) applying a coating on the keys that resist wear and tear (like the HP Mini). Considering how much an Apple notebook costs these days, you think Apple could afford to make the keys a little more resistant than they presently are.

So I guess my point to all is that this while there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the keyboards, I just wish Apple tried to make the keyboard look a little newer for longer.

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
I love the keyboard on the Apple's. They feel MUCH better than any other laptop keyboards that I have used. I do prefer "normal" desktop keyboards with the slightly bigger keys, but those aren't practical in a laptop.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I agree that they have a nice feel to them.

I just dislike that they show signs of wear and tear so quickly and easily.

CRAZYBUBBA

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Toronto/Houston
I agree, powerbook keyboard and Thinkpad keyboards are much better for someone like me who spends 90% of there time typing something or another.

Zazoh

macrumors 65832
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
I love the keyboard on the Apple's. They feel MUCH better than any other laptop keyboards that I have used. I do prefer "normal" desktop keyboards with the slightly bigger keys, but those aren't practical in a laptop.

Agree -- My son and wife have an HP and Dell Laptop, the keys are so mushy. I never used to notice till I got this Mac.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Agree -- My son and wife have an HP and Dell Laptop, the keys are so mushy. I never used to notice till I got this Mac.
Dell has the same problem: cheap and plasticy. They feel alright to use, but they just get that "shininess" and other types of stains so quickly.

I think Sony makes the best notebook keyboards, at least in terms of quality. The feel is different, but at least they look decent for a little longer.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I agree, powerbook keyboard and Thinkpad keyboards are much better for someone like me who spends 90% of there time typing something or another.
Didn't the original TiBook have a bronze keyboard?

That's what I wish Apple would make for their Pro models. Something a little higher quality than cheap plastic.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I love my apple keyboard. Love it. To me it is one of the best keyboards I have every used. Sorry to hear that you don't like yours.
And to clarify, I don't really dislike it. I just wish the plastic was maybe coated or something (like on the HP Mini) so that it resisted signs of wear a little better than now, where they tend to get shiny and very dirty rather quickly.

It's not an Apple-exclusive problem.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Woah... I made the thread title way more misleading than I intended to. Didn't mean to imply the keyboard is awful; it's not. It's just not as durable as I wish it was, is what I'm trying to say here.

So, please, don't crucify me. It's just a pointless rant, like I stated.

Ov3rlord Falc0r

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009

I don't think you properly think out your answers before you post. In your OP you stated that the "cheap and plasticy" feel of the keyboard "annoys" you. But just now you said "they have a nice feel to them".:confused:

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think you properly think out your answers before you post. In your OP you stated that the "cheap and plasticy" feel of the keyboard "annoys" you. But just now you said "they have a nice feel to them".:confused:
You're right, I don't. I (as usual) put up a terrible thread title.

My whole point this thread is that while I don't dislike the keyboard per se, I just don't like the cheap plastic that shows wear and tear very quickly. Again, it's not something that affects usability at all, it's just a minor aesthetic thing that could be solved by either coating the plastic with some kind of finish or by using a different material. That's it. The feel of the keys themselves are alright.

I really should try to have more accurate thread titles. Way too accusatory on my part...

imthekuni

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2009
Out of every computer I have ever owned, the island keys on the Apple notebooks are definitely my favorite. I use an iSkin to keep crap from getting below the keys but nonetheless an awesome design in my eyes.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

I like the keyboards, they type very well but I have to agree with the OP, they get greasy so easily. My previous Macbook Air became oily after a week of owning it and no amount of alcohol would get rid of the wear on the keys from the oil. It definitely ruins an otherwise beautiful machine. I notice other companies are beginning to apply a coating on the keys to prevent wear and oil. I guess that will be in the next generation Macbooks. :(

okatidubi

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
If you want to compare shininess and oiliness caused by wear and tear, borrow a businessman's MacBook that has black keys and a businessman's ThinkPad.

You'll be surprised how oily the ThinkPad keyboard can get even though it is made out of good quality plastics, or so I've heard.

Cancelled
Mar 28, 2008
You CRAZY, man! :p

Seriously though, I love the feel of the keyboard. However, I do agree with you on how the keys should be more durable, and be more capable of standing wear and tear.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I like the keyboards, they type very well but I have to agree with the OP, they get greasy so easily. My previous Macbook Air became oily after a week of owning it and no amount of alcohol would get rid of the wear on the keys from the oil. It definitely ruins an otherwise beautiful machine. I notice other companies are beginning to apply a coating on the keys to prevent wear and oil. I guess that will be in the next generation Macbooks. :(
Exactly, this is what I'm getting at. I just for some reason didn't seem to be able to get this point across very clearly the first time.

Apple is applying wear-resistant coating to the iPhone 3G-S, it'd be nice if they'd do it on the keyboards, too. Make them look nicer for a little longer.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
You know name calling is against forum rules here. Be cool about that.
It's understandable, since I don't worship Steve Jobs and have the highest praise for all things Apple at all times. I don't really fit in here because I'm not an iSheep all the time.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. PC keyboards are much more efficient and easy to type on
Well, I don't really agree with that, since it depends on the quality of the keyboard. Some feel much more cheap than others. My Sony Vaio P has the best notebook keyboard, imo. It's made of aluminum and has some kind of coating on it, so it doesn't show any wear at all.

That on a MacBook would be great, and would really fit in with the rest of the unibody aluminum construction, I think.

But, meh, it's a minor thing. Just annoying.

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
dude what are you smoking cuz i want some

the macbook has like the best keyboard ever it's so comfortable and well spaced

every other oem wishes it could have the apple keyboard

you should feel lucky to use such a great notebook, cuz you dont obviously have enough respect
...Alright, whatever you say.

ELab2

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
It seems to be something of a love hate thing. When I first sat down to test out the new MB the first thing I noticed was how great the keyboard, a really different feel that I was used to and I really enjoyed it. My friend who has been using Macs for years hates it.

Perhaps trying out a few different keyboard covers would be beneficial, they give a pretty wide variety of different keyboard feels even though that's sort of contrary to their intended purpose

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.