[Rant] Living under a rock?

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Okay, this is a rant, and I apologise, but I have to vent this or I will explode.

I am sitting in my university library right now, I have my MacBook open in front of me on a table, and I'm listening to music over my headphones, just as I was about fifteen minutes ago, before this.

A lad came up to me, he must be in his third year so about twenty-one, twenty-two years old. I take off my headphones.

Him: "Wow, how did you get that glowing Apple on the back of your screen?"
Me: "It's a MacBook, they all have them on the shell."
Him: "Oh, can I get a MacBook for my laptop screen?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Him: "Like, can I buy a MacBook and stick it on my laptop so it'll glow like that?"
Me: "No. This laptop is a MacBook. The glowing Apple is part of the screen itself."
Him: "Oh, right. Where can I get one of those then?"
Me: "From the Apple store. Theres a discount if you order them over uni wi-fi too."
Him: "So Apple make this?"
Me: "Well, yes, that's why there's an Apple."
Him: "I thought Apple made iPods and iMacs?"
Me: "Yes. And MacBooks."
Him: "So this is a Mac?"
Me: "Yeah..."
Him: "Cool. I like iMacs. I really want a blue iMac for Christmas."

After that I couldn't really think of what to say apart from "hmm" and he went back to his work. I mean I know England has a tiny proportion of Mac users (96% of computers users use PCs - 19% of which still run Win98 or older) but really... Not figuring the connection between the Apple logo on the laptop shell and the one on the iPod he was holding, and then saying he wanted a computer that went off sale in February 2002... you really get the impression that some people really do live under rocks.

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
believe it or not, some people dont follow computers

before you make fun of him in a sense, i am sure he may know things at a level that you would be woefully ignorant asking about according to him:cool:

Comment

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
believe it or not, some people dont follow computers

before you make fun of him in a sense, i am sure he may know things at a level that you would be woefully ignorant asking about according to him:cool:
He's taking a degree in sports if his shirt is to be trusted. Why my uni insists on selling these departmental shirts I don't know. I'd not be seen dead with "University of Sunderland Radio Technician" embroidered on my shirt.

I know it's unfair to instantly say he's playing sports because he's not academically minded, indeed that is totally uncalled for, but he really did come across as rather dense in his mannerisms and what he said.

Comment

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I know it's unfair to instantly say he's playing sports because he's not academically minded, indeed that is totally uncalled for, but he really did come across as rather dense in his mannerisms and what he said.
Well he sounds like a truly awful person. I can't believe he doesn't pay attention to Apple's line-up!

What's his MacRumors username? I'll go harass him.

Comment

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
He's taking a degree in sports if his shirt is to be trusted. Why my uni insists on selling these departmental shirts I don't know. I'd not be seen dead with "University of Sunderland Radio Technician" embroidered on my shirt.

I know I have many a free T-shirt from college that were silly advertisements. Doesn't mean a thing

Comment

KielderWolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Northeast England
Heh I'll admit I'm being hot-headed over this.

Very hot headed.

I'm just tired of this bloody assignment and people coming across and disturbing me to ask about my bloody computer and then being less than bright about my answer. Though at least now that it's gone six in the morning I can get some coffee from the shop.

Comment

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
If you were out and about with the common groundlings, that conversation wouldn't surprise me. But on a college campus its very surprising.

Everyone on my campus seems to be pretty hip to the technology scene. I get asked every now and then if my 13" MBP is an Air, but that's understandable.

Then again...almost a third of the people at my school use Macs.

Comment

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
OP, i'm with you 100% on this. one time a hot girl came over to admire my laptop saying "i like your macbook!" however, it was really a macbook PRO and then i had to educate her with the back of my hand

Comment

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
"A blue iMac..."

I friggin' lost it when I read that....lmao!! Welcome to 2000!
well actually you can get a mac in any color you want, there are a few companies out there that put a new finish on the machines and re sell them.

it is not cheap at all but it does get you a machine that really stands out...

Comment

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
well actually you can get a mac in any color you want, there are a few companies out there that put a new finish on the machines and re sell them.

it is not cheap at all but it does get you a machine that really stands out...
I have my doubts that's what the guy was talking about...

Comment

Xexis

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Everett, WA
I do believe he was referring to this ;)
I do believe that the eMac he was referring to came out when I was in seventh grade :O

I don't know I just don't like being out of the loop on things no matter what they are. Wasn't that the First mac to use a built in Disc drive though? The ones I used in High School had Floppies and ran MAC OS 8 >.< Damnit I want a Mac so bad so I can write my books! *sighs*

Comment

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I do believe that the eMac he was referring to came out when I was in seventh grade :O

I don't know I just don't like being out of the loop on things no matter what they are. Wasn't that the First mac to use a built in Disc drive though? The ones I used in High School had Floppies and ran MAC OS 8 >.< Damnit I want a Mac so bad so I can write my books! *sighs*
That's an iMac, a 2nd revision model IIRC...and the original revision iMac was one of the first computers NOT to have a floppy drive built in.

Comment

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
You must admit the criteria he judges people on is sound. I mean tee shirts, knowledge of Apple computers? Anyone who fails to meet standards in those categories is a damn fool and a bad person.
I think you're judging the OP a bit harshly because of how you think he judges people who judge the Mac and judge others who continue to judge the the conversation and judging of shirts.... judgingly... lest ye be judged!

:p:p

JUDGE!

:D:D

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.