rant on disc scratches

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furcalchick, Jul 10, 2007.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm currently playing ff12, renting it from the local blockbuster. i'm at the part where vaan and his party go to bhujerba for the first time to save pinelo. right after the cut scene where pinelo is tied up, the disc just starts and stops and nothing loads at all. found out that the disc is massively scratched. i wish some people would learn that these things are fragile and that you can't scratch them like this. we've been using discs for games for over a decade, and still, some don't get it. you can't just leave your discs lying around like this. we're calling the blockbuster and getting this fixed and hopefully i should have a new disc by morning.:mad:

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, I hate getting scratched DVDs.

But the worst one that I got, had peanut butter on it. I washed the disc with soap and water, then dried it off. Worked well after that.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I know what you mean. I am very studious about keeping my CDs and DVDs in their respective cases, but when someone else uses them, I find them on the desk or above the player. It's very annoying, especially when you find that it has been scratched after they stop using it. The quality of the disk is a major reason why I buy all my games new.

4. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I wish optical drives drives used caddies still ... but then we wouldn't have slot-load drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-ROM

5. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

i signed up for netflix's two week trial recently to see if i would like it and so far the two dvd's that i received were scratched and skipped major parts. i wont be signing up for their service.

6. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I've been with Netflix for about a year and a half and I have never once received a disc that was scratched. It might just be the distribution center, but it definitely isn't a company-wide problem.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Most Netflix DVDs have some scratches, but I think we've only had to send two back because they wouldn't play, and that's going back at least 5 years.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I guess it just depends on the type of movies you're renting. If you rent big blockbuster movies, they will probably have more scratches since more people rent them. They're really good about exchanges though. Just tell them it's unplayable, and they send out a replacement right away if you want.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

in regards to scratched disks in general, i scratch disks easily, particularly ones I use really often. for dvds i use d-skins mostly (those thin plastic things that go on the bottom of the cd/dvd), but iirc they dont work in slot load drives...but I don't use slot load drives so :D

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't know how people scratch them. When we got our first CD's back in't day, he just told me to place them face down so not to scratch the data side and not to put anything on top of them. Easy peasy!

LoveFilms (or Screen Select as they were) had some terrible films. You're supposed to put a mark on the case if theres a problem with the DVD, but we sent off for the same film 2 weeks later and we got the same DVD back :mad:

11. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Oh my god, that drives me crazy. It makes me want to strange whoever scratched it and yell at them. "Don't you [bleep]ing know how to take care of a [bleep]ing CD!!!" :)

12. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Screw slot load, I like tray's better anyway.