Rant on Password Required

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vansouza, Dec 4, 2008.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Why do so many, all most all of them, require a password to install? I have come across a few that do not; and I wonder what the difference is in requiring it or not.

I am afraid that I get so used to typing my PW that some day I am going to just type it in to the wrong app and get screwed in the process.

So just wondering what the difference is in requiring it or not.

2. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I can't remember an Application that doesn't require a password for install.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Some apps (like FireFox, VLC, and many more) can be installed by simply copying it to your /Applications directory, so if you're an admin user, you won't a password to install them.
    Some "installer scripts" don't require your admin-password either.

So, basically if the installer doesn't need a "sudo" action (temporary root-rights), and if the developer lets you copy the app or use a copy-based-installer script, then no password is required.

IMHO, every installer of every app should be a package which can only be installed with an admin password.
    This way the user cannot make a mistake as to where an app should be installed, and it gives the user a sense of security.
    How many times I haven't seen users download the MSN.dmg, and mount the disk image to open the app inside it... not knowing you should copy it to the /Applications dir... :rolleyes: