[RANT]OSX cursor acceleration - annoying as hell![/RANT]

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nicnic77, Jan 16, 2008.

1. nicnic77 macrumors member

I've been using my iMac for a month now, and my MacBook for over a year, but I just can't get used to the Mac's mouse accuracy. Perhaps Windows has instilled bad habits in me, but I find their cursor absolutely spot on. I'd say I'm a power user, but when I attempt to use a mouse on a Mac I feel like I've never used one in my life!

Its hard to explain, but in Windows I instinctively look at where I want to click and my hand moves to exactly, or very near, to the correct spot nearly every time. Occasionally, I will need to readjust slightly, but I do so without even thinking about it. When people see my dexterity with the mouse, they are usually amazed...

However, on the Mac it is a different story entirely... I look at a spot, and my hand automatically tries to take the cursor there, but I usually massively overshoot. Even worse than big swooshing movements are the fine adjustments. I have to make between 5-10 of them as I'm again overshooting all the time. This is hands down the worst thing about the iMac and it is really making my experience miserable.

I've tried a piece of free software which speeds up the mouse. But that is no good as I think acceleration is to blame. I've also tried USB Overdrive, with varying Speed and Acceleration options, but I cannot get it to feel the same as I'm used to.

Are there any known settings to emulate the Windows cursor, or something else I can try. At the moment I dread trying to do anything with the damn thing!

2. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

let me know if you find anything. i'm in the same situation as you're in. i still don't know if i like the normal mac settings or usb overdrive better.

3. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

i did it! i fixed the stupid mac mouse pointer problem. all i did was install the microsoft intellipoint software and now my mouse pointer moves just like it did in XP.

really, mac's mouse acceleration doesn't make any sense...it's so inaccurate.