[Rant] Retina ruined my eyes!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Skylitfly, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... honestly I now have everything "retina" but my external monitor and my TV. And I can't stand my monitor neither TV.

I find this very frustrating since I'd like to use my 24" 1080p monitor for real screen estate but I find it literally impossible. If I use both my rMBP display and the external monitor side by side I find the PPI difference distracting. If I use my rMBP in clamshell mode I'm constantly disappointed to the display quality of the monitor. It's horrendous, pixelated, piece of crap. I can't stand it.

What comes to my TV... well, it's not that bad since I watch it far away enough so I won't really see that much pixels. Also, I'm mostly viewing movies and programs from my TV so it's not that bad. But... I'm still unhappy. And my eyes are screaming for 4K.

First the phone, then the tablet and finally the laptop. All retina. Now I want external monitor and TV.

Guess I'll be waiting till 4K IPS monitors goes below 1,000€. And honestly 4K is really the minimum I'll accept for external monitor. It still feels slightly too low according to my current experiences with 27" and 32" 4K monitors.

And what comes to TV... I've already found myself a great 4K television. Now I just need to save some money.

Does anyone else find this "retina effect" extremely annoying and distracting? And money wasting. :D

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Translation: You've (many of us) have been spoiled with the ever growing technological enhancements in video and now you want it everywhere you can get it.

Not a bad problem to have if you have the cash but retina, in no way shape or form, likely ruined your eyesight. ;)

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    This thread took a very bad turn and all the posts related to the rules violation were removed.

Please stay on topic.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Mod note #2

Public discussion of moderation is not allowed. If anyone has issues with moderation, the proper way to have it addressed is by using the Contact form whereby an administrator will review the case.

/Mod note

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Not really. Because most of my day-to-day usage is with the lesser screens.

6. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

My eyes are old but still good. That said, I'm still happy with a 1080p display. To me there are more important qualities in a display such as contrast ratio, black levels, viewing angle, lack of backlight bleed, etc. While retina displays look good, I can personally live without one..

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

you know if it bothers you that much you can decrease the pixel density right?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If you are seeing pixels when watching TV you are way to close. Your average 1080p TV is fine if you sit 6-8 feet away.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I get what OP is saying. I get use to my phone and ipad looking good and my home computer isn't great but useable. Then I go to school sit infort of a school computer... I then think to myself "How the **** am I suppose to see the text with all the damn pixels in the way?"

10. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Hehe, something similar was brought up at my job today. Since the release of the iPhone, customers have come to expect a higher quality screen on everything, so we need to push for more powerful graphics on our devices to please our customers.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know what the OP means. Since using an OLED PS Vita I find it very difficult to play games on any other display. Well not really. But I do wish more displays were OLED. I know the DPI isn't as good as retina but the dot pitch just isn't there. Love it.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Never had this issue. Then again, my only retina device was my iPhone 4. And I don't even own that anymore.

Imo, retina is very overhyped and not very useful unless you're working with images or video or something.