*rant* Seriously Pissed Off.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by redm4lc, Mar 4, 2012.

1. redm4lc macrumors newbie

I've been buying Apple products for years. Always thought their customer service was second-to-none. Even the other week, when I replaced my girlfriend's dodgey backing to her MacBook, it was fine. Filled out a form online. Arrived next day. Job's a gooden.

Yet a few months ago, whilst her MacBook was in warranty, I told her to take it in, tell them the DVD drive is very tempromental and they'll replace it. She took it in, they tried to out-tech her (she's not technical at all) and basically blamed her. Told us to re-install the OS :)rolleyes:) and that's it. That's always irritated me and I was meaning to go in to 'have a go' for quite while. Nonetheless the DVD carried on for a little while longer. Now it's actually ****ed. Won't work. And it makes me utterly livid. I'm an extremely technical person and the fact I knew it was dodgey and they wouldn't replace it is actually a piss take. Now, I'm heading into Apple tomorrow and I'm going ballistic. Don't even care if wasn't the person who originally spoke to her. Someone's getting an absolute kicking. The fact it costs a measly few pounds to replace it doesn't bother me at all, and if I hadn't known it was dodgey, I wouldn't even care. But it's the principal. She went in, completely untechy, and they basically blamed her trying to keep any costs incurred down. Now, it's out of warranty and she's got to spent money on replacing a part that shouldn't need replacing. Absolutely livid.

/rant over

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

How old was the MacBook? Did you buy AppleCare?

3. redm4lc thread starter macrumors newbie

Last MacBook to be made, early 2011 I believe. No it was just the standard warranty. And in this case, it doesn't matter. It should have been replaced when she went in, twice. And it didn't happen.

That reminds me sorry, she went in twice (without me). First time, basically blamed her. Second time said to reinstall OS.

4. redm4lc, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

redm4lc thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

The reason I buy things from Apple was reaffirmed yesterday.

I went into the Apple Store, Trafford Centre with my girlfriend yesterday, ready for a fight. Immediately getting there, I gave my name to the person with the iPad, saying I had a 'Genius' appointment (that still bothers me). He enquired what it was about and I stated 'A huge complaint, followed by additional gripes and then the DVD drive in this out-of-guarantee MacBook'. The kind gentleman was obviously taken aback, enquired a little more and sorted me out with the most experienced 'Genius' in the store.

I'm not sure if she'll ever read this but Emma was her name. An utterly lovely woman. I told her the story, shown her the drive. Ran a few diags and everything looked fine (obviously diags only detect if it's there, not if it's working). She sympathised with my situation, said it was out of guarantee but we had been in before so they would usually honour it but unfortunately that utter fool at the Basingstoke Apple Store didn't note the meeting down under the account. Therefore I had no proof. She spoke to the manager and got it all sorted for me. Saved £120 and a lot of hurt feelings.

Ladies and Gentleman, this is why I buy from Apple. Despite one utter waste of a human being employed by Apple, at least they all aren't fools. They've still got me for a while longer yet :D

5. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Yeah, you spoke to my friend. - Glad she could help :)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple are still second to none in CR IMO. You are bound to get the odd "Genius" who is either having a bad day, or is just not fit for the job. The clue here is in the fact that he / she didn't log the visits...That's a complete no no in Apples way of doing things...Rest assured that the "Bad Apple" will be weeded out tout suit. :)

7. redm4lc thread starter macrumors newbie

I entirely agree there. I've only ever had excellent experience with them. When my old iPhone screen smashed, they repaired it entirely for free at L1 store in Liverpool.

It's why I initially told my GF to go in without me. I knew she'd be sorted out. It's just too bad she was unlucky :(

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As an aside, I have only ever once set foot in an Apple store, as I have a Corporate "In" and am informed when things are available, and they phone me to take my orders. If I want a MM or something simple I might go to a store, but nothing has broken, and I drive my Macs hard...Just never had an issue.

Let's hope the genius in question is removed from the place...I'm guessing that not logging visits is in fact a dismissible offence. They have to keep sheets daily...There will be a record of your GF's appointments, and they then have the guy, no excuses just "Goodbye" they are like that as a company.

9. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Moral of the story: Don't be so quick to blow a fuse and go ballistic. Chances are you just encountered an uncooperative "Genius". Take your problem elsewhere and try again. But always remain polite.

10. redm4lc thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course. I'm an English Gentleman, if I do say so myself ;) Had to blow a little steam somewhere. Where better than a forum? :)

Either way, all is well in the world :apple:

11. throAU, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

This.

When we purchased my GF's Macbook Air, we rang in advance, and asked if they had a (2010) 11" 1.4ghz 4gb/128gb in stock.

They said yes, so we went into the city to pick one up.

Of course, that was a BTO (being the first machine we'd purchased in store, didn't realise BTO was online only at that point) and they had none in stock, so after making the trip (after being told "yeah we have plenty of 11"s in stock!"), waiting around, transferring cash into the bank, etc a lot of time was wasted.

After consulting with his supervisor, the Apple salesperson gave us a 1.4ghz/4gb/128gb machine for the 1.4ghz BTO price.

They really didn't owe us anything, despite the misunderstanding - any other retailer would have said "too bad" and we would have left and bought something else, or from somewhere else.

I'm sure this sort of thing comes down from the top. Apple's margins are high, but all the way through from hardware design, sales, and after sales support, I really do believe they are focused on "the experience".

That sale cost them an extra $150. So they likely still made money on that sale, no problem. However, as a result, the amount of customer loyalty they have won, and the recommendations for good service they have garnered are worth FAR, FAR more than that (so far, I've bought my 15" pro, and influenced another 3 people towards buying macbooks this year :D).

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's exactly the way they work...Lose money? Of course they didn't, but you will buy in future, and the fact you have posted this all helps the Apple cause!