RANT: Shoddy iPhone Build Quality!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kardashian, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

My first iPhone had to be returned.

This second one "works" flawlessly - but has physical imperfections.

1. The left side casing, where black and silver parts meet is out - you can feel a step/ridge.
    2. The silver edging in the same area isn't "flush".
    3. There are 2 sets of hairline scratches along the chrome - 3 top, 2 bottom.

I'm really embarissed about going back to Carphone. The staff are lovely, but this will be the 5/6th product I've returned.

Am I expecting too much for my £269?

2. alFR macrumors 68020

There is a very slight edge that you can feel on mine as well where the black plastic and metal back meet and where the black plastic part meets the chrome surround. I hadn't noticed it until I specifically felt for it just now and it has zero significance in day to day use, so it really doesn't bother me. The scratches shouldn't be there right enough, but I'd guess that within a week or so you'll have others anyway.

Personally I'd not worry about it, unless there's a big gap between the black plastic and metal parts or something is loose.

p.s. I wouldn't describe the build of mine as shoddy, even with the above: I've had plenty of other consumer products with worse tolerances.

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thing is, the right side of the phone is totally flush.

The left side is noticeable when holding, its a step - your finger gets stuck on the metal. Its got a sharp edge - its not just a small ridge.

On the phone to Apple.. :(

4. danielforman macrumors regular

my iPhone is the same in that the black back is not flush on one side with the metal back and the chrome bezel is not flush in a couple of places. I took mine back to O2 and the assistant had a look and we compared it to the display models and they were just the same.

There is a similar thread to this posted a while ago and a few other people did comment that there's was the same. Looks like it is a manufacturing problem and although it is annoying that you know it is there you may have to live with it. O2 would not do anything about mine because the others were the same. You may have better luck getting yours replaced but you may end up with one that has the same problem with the casing.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks, DanielForman.

That's reassuring, but worrying knowing that Apple ship them like this.

I'd be grateful if someone could locate that thread. :)

6. tonywob, Dec 11, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your #1 and #2 rants seem rather valid, but if my iPhone had a hairline scratch I certainly wouldn't waste my time with Apple. I mean, if it were deep and long sure, but not some hairline scratch that is going to probably wind up there due to use. It's metal, is it not? I'd assume mine has a few scratches today and I have a case on it. :)
    I hope the other issues are fixed though. Something doesn't sound right about the casing.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree the build quality is inconsistent.

I've had several phones, and I think only one was perfect. They either have screen issues, this or that, or a lot have either the volume or lock buttons not not quite right and they feel mushy.

9. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

MINE HAS THAT TOO!

I thought I was going paranoid so didn't mention it..

10. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

that is strange as my iPhone came as advertised

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Only thing I can complain about for my iPhone is the home button kinda wiggles ever so slightly...

I can't remember which thread I read about someone with that issue, and I had to go and ruin it for myself and test it on my iPhone...

now I can't stop thinking about it.... not a big deal anymore, but when I first discovered it I was kinda sad :p

12. secondself macrumors newbie

3gs Build Quality SUCKS!!!!!!!!!

I'm on my fourth White 3gs 32gb iPhone. the Sim tray does not sit flush and the silent switch rattles bad on all of them so far. My 16gb 3g was Flawless, I really wish I had not upgraded to this piece of crap. Sure wish I had not sold the old phone to get this one.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sometimes there are duds. I dropped my phone on the asphalt a week ago with nothing but a film covering most of it. The only damage was a couple of knicks along the steel edges, which is now allllll covered up by an Incase Slider. I also dropped my original iPhone countless times with about the same amount of damage.

Seriously, these things are really well built on the whole. But some will be defective. Just take it back and they usually exchange stuff.

14. jason221 macrumors 6502

I think some slight physical imperfections are far outweighed by the 3GS's new features and massive increase in performance quality.

15. dns72 macrumors member

I have that too, except mine is on the right side. That is really the only flaw on my 3GS, and it's not worth it for me to replace it.

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have those imperfections too, but I wouldn't bother exchanging it. You will just get another one with the same thing.

More scratches will come with your phone. I know it hurts being brand-new right now, but in one year you will have so many scratches that you won't even care at that point.

17. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

I had 4 original iPhone's, the first three all had dead pixels. I had 2 iPhone 3G's - case cracked on the first one, and I am already on my 2nd iPhone 3GS because the first had battery issues. I have horrible luck.

18. sinsin07 macrumors 68030