Rant: Video

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jesteraver, Apr 17, 2007.

1. jesteraver macrumors 6502

Why can't people just convert all their *.avi files into *.mp4 h.264 crap its a pain in the ass, when downloading tv shows (seeing here in canada) we dont get iTunes (tv shows or movies) argh.

Plus seeing that I am still using iMac G5 takes a very long time to convert a 1hr tv show even though its about 350-600mb file size.

Why is it so hard? Plus don't you get better quality in *.mp4 h.264 anyways?!

2. brianus macrumors 6502

Uh, what? You complain that people don't convert their libraries of AVI files to mp4/h264, then you complain that it's too hard for you to do. Which is it? Are you angry at the users (why?) or angry at Apple for not supporting AVI and making you convert anything? Or.. what? Your post is incoherent.

Anyway, you can import *.avi into iTunes, you just have to do it as a reference *.mov. Do a search on Movie2iTunes.

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Eh?

Are you asking why people don't convert their movies into a different format once they have the movies on their computers? And you want them to do this so when you download these shows from someone else (this could be a touchy subject seeing as how that's illegal in the states) it will be better for you somehow?

I don't know if .avi files are smaller or larger than .mp4 files, but I do know that compressing a file that is already compressed (e.g.; going from .avi to .mp4) will result in a further loss of quality. Whatever reasons you have for wanting people to convert their files would seem to be outweighed by this loss in quality. This goes double for the part where you talk about .mp4 having better quality.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Additionally, there is now .avi support for Quicktime, or you can use VLC. SO you don't NEED to convert avi files.

5. jesteraver thread starter macrumors 6502

How can I put it. If people are recording tv shows why not record it in *.mp4 rather than *.avi goes the same for dvd movies.

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

The reason why avi is used is because it has been the container of choice for DivX and Xvid encoded videos for ages. It has become the de facto standard for all video that is shared on the internet and is not HD. The fact atht you can easily play those on almost any system adds to their popularity. MP4 has a long ways to go to even try and topple AVI. If you wanna watch AVI videos on your Mac, just download Perian. That way you dont have to re-encode the videos into MP4, which is a silly idea to begin with, as you are moving them from a lossy format to another lossy format.