rants about OS-X vs Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by abcdefGARY, Jun 4, 2007.

1. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I just tried this, I dragged some text from Safari onto the TextEdit dock icon and the text appeared in TextEdit just fine.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

If you want to change the OS X theme then try ShapeShifter. There is a glass effect for it too.

The others are just working practices. I've never used a PC, except for in work, so I know I'd get annoyed with some of the things I do in OS X won't work in Windows.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I've just tried dragging both image files from finder and images from web sites onto the photoshop dock icon. Photoshop opens the images correctly for me.

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

That's absolutely untrue. You can drag any file that any program in the dock understands and it will open in that program. If the program isn't running, the program will launch with the file you dragged onto it's icon.

The caveat is that, understandably, it must be a file that the program can understand and can normally open. In other words, if you drag a MS Word .doc file onto the Quicktime icon in the dock, Quicktime will not open it because it doesn't understand .doc files. On the other hand, you can force any application to *try* and open any file of your choosing by dragging the file onto the application's icon while pressing the command-option keys.

At what point did I leave Windows behind?

6. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Ugh, hopefully Mac OS X will never look like vista. It's so overdone with effects and colours it looks like a fisher price toy imo.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This has been a Mac feature since System 7.0.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you want a browser that maximises fully, I recommend Camino :)

I think its a matter of getting used to, and now I hate such screen wasting...

9. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

oh gosh! no! please don't say it.... bit... tah tah tah... CompUSA?

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, any browser at all can go full screen, even if it doesn't explicitly support it, with a little bit of JavaScript. Create a bookmark with the following code as its location:
    Code:
    javascript:self.moveTo(0,0);self.resizeTo(screen.availWidth,
    screen.availHeight);
    Add it to your bookmarks bar, and click it whenever you want a full-screen browser.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Maximising windows is very counter productive. Its funny watching PC users using OSX. They maximise all the windows then moan about how awkward it is to get to other open windows. Sure exposé is a great addition but its still quicker to have windows not maximised and over lapping so you can quickly access the window you want with one click and you also have the ability to drag and drop without first unmaximising 2 windows to be able to drag and drop.

In time you will learn. ;)

Most people here would tell you they NEVER maximise a window. Also this is why the 'maximise' button works differently in OSX than it does in windows because Apple realise this too.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have learned, as you say, yet I find (on one particular site) that taking the browser full-screen is the best way to see all the content. On other sites, yes, I agree - having the browser window maximized is counter-productive.

If you must know which site I am referring to: Kingdom of Loathing

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

And the reason is because its poorly put together. :p

14. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

amazing. even when windows is out of my life it isnt out of my life. you have OSX now guy. let go of the dark side!

15. Angrist macrumors 6502

Thats funny, I sometimes still double click the title bar expecting to windowshade the window. Thats one feature I want to see return.

(Yes, I've seen the add-on that'll do it in X, but the trainwreck that is APE has caused me nothing but problems.)

16. MagicUK macrumors regular

MagicUK

17. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular