Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Ok.
I'm risking being called an arrogant nutcase but....
ok, in the Duke TIP thing I was 20 POINTS AWAY FROM GETTING A NATIONAL AWARD.
20 points.
I am so crushed.
So crushed.:(
And that would have been so amazing for high school application.
I mean, I have state, but it's not the thing. National was my goal. And I had thought I had probably made it.
But I just found out I missed it by 20 points.
Oh, and I had a crappy day socially to get into that whole mess. But I don't want to repeat the joke about me my idiot friend decided was so funny. :mad:

Anyways, whenever someone has a bad day... this is your thread to post in. :eek:

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
i have no idea what you are talking about the only Duke thing this reminds me of is raping and kidnapping a stripper.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
eva01 said:
i have no idea what you are talking about the only Duke thing this reminds me of is raping and kidnapping a stripper.
Mmmk, maybe then I should explain. XD
The Duke TIP program is this thing for kids who scored in the 95th percentile or above, where they can take the SAT or ACT if they chose.
I took the SAT, and certain scores get you state recognition, some get you national, etc.
Get it now?? Haha

sarae

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
madison, WI
eva01 said:

Hah, I have no idea what the OP is talking about either, but that's the exact thing that comes to mind now when I hear "Duke."

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
argh....that must be frustrating about the duke tip thing. i did that when i was in 7th grade.
about the high school thing--i dont know about private schools but i applied for a magnet school in my district (i've gotten into 3 of them fwiw) and they didnt even care about the duke tip thing--much less about whether you got state or national recognition, and they didn't even look at my taks scores afaik (texas assessment of academic skills). high-level classes, good grades, and extracurriculars were what mattered. and if you go to normal public high school there isn't even an application.i got national on english and state on math though :eek:

i guess what i'm trying to say is--it's not the end of the world; don't stress out.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
homerjward said:
argh....that must be frustrating about the duke tip thing. i did that when i was in 7th grade.
about the high school thing--i dont know about private schools but i applied for a magnet school in my district (i've gotten into 3 of them fwiw) and they didnt even care about the duke tip thing--much less about whether you got state or national recognition, and they didn't even look at my taks scores afaik (texas assessment of academic skills). high-level classes, good grades, and extracurriculars were what mattered. and if you go to normal public high school there isn't even an application.i got national on english and state on math though :eek:

i guess what i'm trying to say is--it's not the end of the world; don't stress out.
Thanks. :) I know it's not suuch a huge deal. I think it's more personal standards I hold myself to than anything about getting into high school.
I will be applying to private high school, but I got to private now and kids that get Bs and Cs have gotten into the high school I want to go to, b/c the school I go to currently is pretty hard and *cough*they'rebasicallysisterschoolswiththeschoolwanttogoto*cough*. I'm not trying to boast or anything, but some of my teachers have joked around me about me not getting in, and I don't think they'd do that if they thought I may not get in.
And, I will be applying for magnet also, so thanks for that. :) I guess they can't look at it so much, just b/c of the whole lottery system and so forth.

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on getting it national on English. I do have a habit of highlighting stuff, actually, so... that stuff doesn't slip by me. ;) :)

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wait, you're in seventh grade and you're already worried about what you can put on your college applications? I'm sorry to tell you this, but no college cares about anything you did in seventh grade.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
Macaddicttt said:
Wait, you're in seventh grade and you're already worried about what you can put on your college applications? I'm sorry to tell you this, but no college cares about anything you did in seventh grade.
I know that.
I was talking about high school applications.
Like, the ones I'll be turning in next year. :rolleyes:

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
amateurmacfreak said:
I know that.

Oh, sorry. I misread your post. :eek:

It never crossed my mind that people applied to go to high school since I've always gone to public schools (well, accept for college).

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
eva01 said:

Those freaks gave Lacrosse a bad name :mad: :mad: :mad:

[RANT]

Ok so basically Im the only kid in the school that is "good at technology" and everyone comes crying to me when they need help. So basically I'm forced into this play (on tech; sound) and basically I'm running around like crazy trying to get this setup 5 minutes before the play and not one person says "Wes, do you need some help?" COMMON PEOPLE!

And tonight i have to go back again and the next night too!!!! Arggg... being good at things is so annoying sometimes."

And becuase are system suchs we always get tons of feadback and everyone blames it on me when I can't do anything about it! I hate it! I hate it! I hate it!

Arggggggggggg..... :mad: :mad: :mad:

[/RANT]

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
amateurmacfreak said:
I know that.

Oh have fun with that. They actually arent that bad compared to the applicatiuons that my brothers had to turn in for college.

jakochampolska

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2005
I did the duke tip thing too!!!!!! I didnt get nationals, nor state. ahaha but its okay, because the high school I go to is an art school and they dont really care about that stuff anyways :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.