Rapid Battery Drain While Sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mizzoucat, Mar 31, 2011.

1. mizzoucat, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

mizzoucat macrumors regular

I just got my new 13" early 2011 base model yesterday and was using it with an external display while it was plugged in. After leaving it plugged in for a couple of hours after reaching 100%, I unplugged it and started using the notebook in mirrored mode with the display open (since you can't run clamshell mode off of battery power). When I went to bed last night, it had drained down to around 60%. I closed the lid and it went to sleep. I left the external monitor plugged in but I turned the power to the monitor off. When I came home from work today, upon opening the lid, I was shocked the battery had drained down to 20%! Why would it drain 40% while sleeping in less than 18 hours? Does it use extra battery power while sleeping when connected to an external monitor? I did have an external hard drive connected. Does time machine somehow operate while the MacBook is sleeping? I also have bluetooth enabled with a bluetooth mouse connected. coconutBattery is reporting 101% health. Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First: Calibrate your battery to make sure your readings are accurate. (instructions in the FAQ link below)
    Second: Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Third: Your Mac will consume about 1% of battery power for every hour in sleep mode.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

Just to confirm, with the lid closed and the computer sleeping in battery mode, it can't wake up under any circumstances, right?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it can. Read the link I posted.

5. mizzoucat thread starter macrumors regular

After reading your link, I'm thinking it was either the external hard drive using a little extra power while being plugged in or the Microsoft bluetooth mouse that was connected.