Rapid-Fire Dock.app Crashes - Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JerMartin, Apr 29, 2011.

1. JerMartin macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone - it's been ages since I posted (I can't even remember the last time that I did) but I'm in desperate need of your help to solve this issue. :(

It all began earlier this evening when I installed SIMBL and seemingly out of nowhere Dock.app began crashing at an alarming pace - a couple times per second actually! I've uninstalled SIMBL and tried reverting, but no luck.

I'm going to attach my crash report, and I'm well and truly praying that one of you clever bunch can help me pinpoint what's going on and how to fix it. :confused:

Thanks so much in advance!

/jer

Attached Files:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Dock app is one of those applications that is auto-relaunched if it crashes. However, in your case it seems that a data file the Dock relies on is corrupted. Fortunately, this isn't too hard to fix. I noticed that you're using 10.7 (I'm assuming the latest developer preview)... so the means of getting at the files in question will be a little different from 10.6.7.

Anyhow, here's what to do:
    • From Finder, choose Go To Folder... (or whatever Apple called it) in the menu bar
    • Go to /Users/username/Library - replacing username with your short user name
    • Once there, navigate to the Caches folder.
    • Look for the Dock's cache folder - it's usually called com.apple.Dock or com.apple.dock.
    • Move it to your desktop, then restart the Dock using whichever method you prefer.
    • If that doesn't make the crashing stop, do the same thing with the Dock database file.
    • That one's in the Preferences subfolder of Library, and is called com.apple.dock.db.

3. JerMartin thread starter macrumors newbie

Though things weren't exactly in the places you listed, I tried wiping out the Database in ~/library/Application Support/Dock and it magically fixed it.

Strange that it would corrupt, but it's all fixed now.. Thank god.

Thanks a ton for your suggestion, it saved me in the end!!

/jer