RapidShare and Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mrspeed1977, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Mrspeed1977 macrumors newbie

After downloading any rapidshare file, and open it with RAR Expander, it opens the folder but the file looks "dim" like a watermark and it won't open when I clink on it. After I copy the same file onto my wife's PC it opens fine, and after I copy that file onto my Mac, it opens fine and the name look nice and dark. Does anybody know what going on? Do I need to tweak my mac so it will let open the file? When I download files that are not "rapidshare", they open fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused:

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Could you post a screenshot of what your problem is? Sorry, trying to understand the problem but I can't picture it.

Thanks.

3. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Have whatever you want to show us open/on your screen and press command+shift+3.

The screenshot will be saved to your desktop.

5. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm assuming you're referring to the PDF file 'MacWorld 2010...'? If yes, it's dimmed out because it isn't a valid option for what you're doing/what the program is asking you.

That window is telling you where you would like extract the RAR file. Since the PDF is just a file and you can't extract anything into a file, it is dimmed out but the folders are fine because you can save/extract into them.

Hopefully that's what you're asking!

(Suggestion: if you're working with RAR files, I highly recommend UnRarX. No need to go through prompts, just open the RAR file and everything is extracted to the place where the original RAR file is. EX. if RAR file is on desktop, all files extracted will be placed on the desktop.)

7. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I double click on it, it won't open. If I try to drag it to other places, it won't stick.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok, those 4 files in that window, is that what you're trying to extract from the RAR file?

9. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

I draged the blue folder to the desktop and opened it and it work fine. What happen?

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's fine because it's "active" in what the window is prompting you to do. In that window, it asks you "Select the folder where you would like the files..." which makes any folder you navigate to, selectable and active which is why you can select any of the three folders and move them onto your desktop. That window acts as another window but with restrictions due to the program.

11. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's asking me to what OTHER folder I want to open to?

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. It's asking WHERE you want to extract the files to. HAS to be another folder which is why you'll find every folder that you see in that box be bolded and not dimmed.

This confusion is why I suggested UnRarX. There is no need for prompts, just open the RAR file and let it extract.

13. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilog-Genius, you're a god. Thank you so much.
    :)

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Everything is working ok and confusion all cleared?

15. Mrspeed1977 thread starter macrumors newbie