Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hey guys I have a problem that just started. On Rapidshare, I've download a lot of files such as .rar files on my mac and everything has worked fine. Up until today, I downloaded a few and they are windows files because they have the parallels symbol (Yes I have parallels) but my parallels isn't running. So i went back and tried to download old files that I had previously been opened with Mac OSX and they too are opening as parallel files. I dont understand why all the files want me to download the windows version. The only thing that I changed was i finally upgraded my MacPar Deluxe because there was a new version but that's the only thing. So can someone please help me fix this problem. I dont want to download windows files while on my mac.

petemwah

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
If you drag these files to unrarX you'll find that they more often than not can un-rar using your existing mac software, sometimes files can have the .exe ending because they are self-extracting files.

If it is the RAR files themselves that are opening in Parallels then right click on the file and click 'get info'. Ensure that the .rar files are opening in your unrar program (the 'open with' dialog) rather than Parallels.

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Thank you so much. I didn't think it was quite that easy. All I had to do was use "open with" and choose MacPar Deluxe. However, how do I keep rapidshare from automatically choosing winrar as the "default" application to use EVEN though I can just choose the opening program. I know it's stupid since I can just choose open with and choose the right program but having to do that over and over again is getting a little annoying. Is there anyway to fix this?

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
Parallels probably decided to change the default app for some files after you installed some unrar app in Windows, that's my guess.

Right-click on a .rar file and select "get info", then somewhere on there you have the "open with" section, change it to unrarX and then click on "apply to all files" or something along those lines, and it will change it back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.