Rapidshare Ordered To Clean Up

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PeteB, Jun 24, 2009.

1. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Not that ayone here will be affected because everything we share/download is totally legal, right?

Currently, this ruling only applies to uploads. It doesn't take a genuis to figure out that at some point there will be interest in the illegal content already there.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...re-hit-with-24m-fine-content-filter-rules.ars

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

For gods sake, my service expires today, dunno if I wanna renew if there's a chance they could go under... so i can legally download files, obviously... :rolleyes:

3. weckart macrumors 68040

This presumably only refers to the rapidshare.de domain, since the rapidshare.com servers are not based in Germany.

4. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I'm curious how this can possibly be done. RAR files, ZIP files, password protected archives. How is rapidshare supposed to screen all this stuff?

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm guessing how they currently do it, some staff searches for the most popular things, i.e. Sims 3, and deletes everything with that file name, regardless of contents, RS can delete any file they want, because it's on their property, they're liable, plus you sign away your rights for the files you upload when you sign up :p

6. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

I was always amazed how Pirate Bay got some heat while Rapid Share gave me the same service, pretty much...

7. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Yup but you can just put up an encrypted rar file called "happy rar.rar" and they won't have a clue what is inside it.

All you have to do is search around google and some forum will say "sims 3 in happy rar.rar , password XXXXX".

The problem here is that they can't just delete the file even if they read this on a forum. Anyone can say the above about any file. Whether it is actually sims 3 or not.

NOTE: not picking on Sims 3 for any reason :)

8. mc3s macrumors member

In a far more reaching conclusion of this I guess it's going to cost a hell of a lot more money to own and operate a site that allows any sort of user content. In Germany anyway. Where does this end then? Does every image uploaded on any other site need to be approved because the uploader may not have rights to it?

They admit that not only was it against the site's TOS to post copyrighted material but they were also actively enforcing it. Guess that's not good enough anymore.

9. fily macrumors regular

fily

Impossible to enforce. As the comment made above states, not all files are necessarily named after what they really are. Half the time, it's an abbreviation, like War of the Worlds would be WOTW. What are they going to do, download and check every file? Fat chance.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly, it's always possible to have a forum link to a file with a name no more suspicious than a series of letters or whatever. People will still get the file...

I'm interested to see how this all pans out.

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

It's actually quite different. Rapidshare provided downloading while with The Pirate Bay you had to upload information too. I always had letters in the mail because I uploaded copy protected information, not downloaded it.