Rapidweaver or Sandvox?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by robanga, Jan 26, 2008.

1. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

For the code-challenged among us, which would you recommend for web development? I'm looking at rapidweaver and sandvox. Any favorites from those two and why?

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Just between those two I'd say RapidWeaver over Sandvox. If you run a HTML validator on the home pages for both of the program's you'll find only RapidWeaver validates. Sandvox also uses deprecated tags such as b and i. I tried Sandvox for a little bit, but found it hard it use and save a site in anything viewable. Though, as a note, I'm not a huge fan of RapidWeaver either, but it does seem better than Sandvox in my opinion.

3. blairwillis macrumors regular

Rapidweaver rocks! I've used it for several years now, with excellent results. The app just keeps improving, the community support is incredible (lots of great plug-ins and add-ons)... RW is perhaps my favorite app... well, maybe second to Ableton Live.

4. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

although rapidweaver has a slightly larger learning curve, you can create a much more professional and functional website (with the use of 3rd party plugins and themes) than one from sandvox

5. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Rapidweaver is the best. It gets even better with some of the great plugins that are available.

:)

6. jbhtex macrumors newbie

I am wondering if anyone else has additional feedback since the recent upgrades of both programs? I currently use iWeb and love it however hate the fact when you upload to sites other than .mac/me.com you loose features. Over that!

7. robanga thread starter macrumors 68000

robanga

I ended up choosing Sandvox, i liked the workflow and UI a bit more, but RW was very nice too.

Both my wife's sites and my own are created in SV now.

8. Lars Hundere macrumors newbie

Rapidweaver or Sandvox?

The only thing I like about RW is the variety of 3rd party support. It's rather like the advantage the Windows world has over Apple's. The comparison can be extended to other areas as well, such as the UI. RW is so awkward and clunky and you have to jump through hoops to get the simplest tasks done. And version 4 is more of the same, just with a pretty face, much like Vista. I bought them both and I can say with confidence that Sandvox has such a refined and elegant interface that it is more Mac-like than a lot of native OS X programs. I've been able to tinker with it just as much as I have in RW (though I admit I haven't tested it's limits) and IT'S JUST SMARTER overall. If you truly understand Apple's design philosophy, you get what I mean. 'nuf said.

9. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Rapidweaver without a doubt. Add Blocks and Espresso and you have yourself a nice powerful web design tool :)

Although Sandvox is still rather nice...

10. kfander macrumors newbie

kfander

I know this is a very old thread but I came across it on a Google search and wondered whether the collective opinions of those here might have changed. After switching to a Mac at about the same time this thread was current, I looked over both RapidWeaver and Sandvox and decided to buy RapidWeaver, along with some of the add-ons to it, such as blocks and some others.

However, without spending a large amount of time trying to figure it out, I wasn't able to create anything in RapidWeaver that didn't look clunky, or like something that was created by an online web authoring program. I understand that some very nice sites have been created with RapidWeaver, but the learning curve was higher than I could afford.

Recently, I bought Sandvox and, although I had a few problems, their tech support was able to talk me through them in short order. Plus, Sandvox now has an active and helpful support forum, although most of the helpful support comes from staff members rather than other users.

To conclude, with about the same amount of effort, the sites that I was able to create with RapidWeaver were rather clunky and unsatisfactory, while I have been pleased with my results from Sandvox.

Of course, I am also more familiar with a Mac now than I was when I last looked at RapidWeaver so I might give it another try sometime.