Raptor 10,000 RPM Drive with MacBook Pro ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fab5freddy, Dec 9, 2007.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Has Anyone used a Raptor 10,000 RPM drive with a MacBook Pro

and would there be a bottleneck because of the firewire 800 connection to your Macbook Pro ( i guess you could do an eSATA connection instead ? )

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

No one has.

Yes there would be a bottleneck.

Only if you get an eSATA Express card.

3. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

so if you used an eSATA express card, would there still be a bottleneck compared to the SATA Raptor connection ?

4. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

In theory, no, there should not be a bottleneck with eSATA. The Raptor has an SATA 1.5Gbps interface and the Express card slot as a 2.5Gbps interface so an eSATA card should be able to provide all the bandwidth needed.

However, this is theoretical and assumes there is no major overhead in the controller cards.

5. alljunks macrumors regular

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It doesn't matter how big the drive is if it is in an external case. Which is what this person was asking about.

7. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

Even if you could do it it would be a very bad idea. Raptors would eat up your battery life like none other and your system would overheat and generate a lot of noise. If you want superior memory performance, get a SSD though they are mad expensive.

8. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

9. Matiek macrumors member

The cases for external hard drives that are capable of esata tend to be plugged in and have their own power supplies. Using sata on my external fillss me with a happiness that I shouldn't feel towards a computer and it only operates at 1.5 gbs

10. Matiek macrumors member

Another thing: A place you will see a bottle neck is with the hard drives cache; especially, after it spools down when you haven't been using it. To minimize that get the raptor with the largest cache possible. I think they make raptors in an 8mb and 16mb flavor but if thety start making a 32mb go for it.