Raptor 300gb velociraptor version anyone else get it installed in their mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I heard that western digital made a version of the velociraptor that will fit into the mac pros, anyone get one or even try one as their main boot drive?

2. ventro macrumors 6502a

I have the version that doesn't fit into the mac pros as my boot drive. I am using the maxupgrades drive-bay adapter with some modifications (some silicon rubber linings to reduce vibrations). The seek noise is a little annoying - you can hear every single seek the hard-drive makes. The drive runs at about 41C. But other than that it's ridiculously fast and works great

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

The website only indicates two versions, a 2.5" and a 3.5" version.
    Both would require mounting hardware for use in the Mac Pro. :eek:

To use them in the drive bays, this was designed by MaxUpgrades for the Velociraptor. It would work with either drive. If you get the 3.5", you remove the aluminum heat sink. (Then you get the 2.5"). :p

AFAIK, WD hasn't yet redesigned the 3.5" heat sink adapter so it would fit a backplane. (Or the Mac Pro in this case). ;)

4. m1stake macrumors 68000

Try searching, you'll find some very thorough topics. Instead of just posting something that's usually been asked hundreds of times before, searching helps you find the information faster.