Raptor for boot - when to install Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Feb 19, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm getting my mac pro in a few hours and plan to run Leopard on a 150GB Raptor.

Will I need to boot off the orig drive initially (to partition or format the Raptor) or can I put the Raptor in one of the drive bays, boot off the restore discs and immediately load Leopard from the very first boot?

2. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

the second option should work fine, its a new drive and it will format the drive for installation.

i plan on getting a 150GB raptor myself specifically for leopard, let me know how that works out for you

3. MikeL macrumors 6502

If you bought the Apple wireless mouse and keyboard, you'll want to boot off of the installed drive first just to do the BT pairing.

4. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Didn't, but what is BT pairing out of curiosity?

5. whistler222 macrumors 6502

bluetooth pairing - for the wireless keyboard/mouse

mind you, i installed 64bit vista home premium, and no love on the wireless keyboard.
    i'm swapping it for a wired one
    :(

6. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

How is 64 bit Vista treating you besides the wireless thing?

7. OZMP macrumors 6502

do a search on www.barefeats.com for their harddrive test. seagate 7200.11 barracuda is faster than the raptor.

Some food for thought.

Cheers.

8. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I know... but I think platter speed is more important for handling large numbers of smaller files, as in Pro Tools. I have a 1TB 7200.11 SB for Time Machine.

9. whistler222 macrumors 6502

all else works fine actually.. can't notice a difference besides my 8 gb of ram now recognized
    but i don't do much on the windows size that needs that much ram except games maybe?

10. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Yeah... I stuck 4 GB of RAM in my gaming PC with XP Pro and it only sees 3.5GB... I was confused, but then learned that 32 bit operating systems have a hard time addressing a full 4GB of RAM.

I read another post where a guy was having a hard time getting Vista 64 bit to load with Bootcamp so that's why I asked.