Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkfunkitup!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
There seems to be a lack of RAR archiving apps for Mac. The only app that I know of to create RARs, is Rarify. For some reason, that program does not work well on my Mac. So my question is: are there any programs besides Rarify, that can create RAR archives?

It's too bad we don't have a program like WinRAR for Macs :(.

Thanks everyone!

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Funny you mention that, I had the exact same question tonight.

I went with SimplyRar. It's free and has a decent GUI.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Never understood why you'd use a proprietary format like RAR (or StuffIt, for that matter) in this day and age.

Zip functionality is built into the Finder. And Windows Explorer. And every other platform out there. Use it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Never understood why you'd use a proprietary format like RAR (or StuffIt, for that matter) in this day and age.
I needed to compress a 2GB ISO into 50MB chunks that the receiver could easily reconstitute back into a 2GB ISO. How do you do that in Finder?

funkfunkitup!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008

Zip functionality is built into the Finder. And Windows Explorer. And every other platform out there. Use it.
Can't RAR files be compressed more than a ZIP file?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.