.rar files nightmares!!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by deceptichop, Jul 19, 2009.

1. deceptichop macrumors regular

Greetings fellow Mac Fanatics,

Here's my nightmare. If I download more than one .rar files from the net, I CAN NOT combine them on my Mac. However, if I DL one just 1 single .rar file I can sucessfully play it with NO problems.

I use and have the latest versions of UnrarX, Rar Expander, MacPar, and MacHacha.

For example, if I DL 2 or 3 rar files, then I can ONLY play file #1. Same thing if I DL 9 or 20 rar files, I still can only play the first file???

Ive been driving myself insane with this. What do ya'll suggest?

Thank you

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

First of all, you can't really "play" a RAR file. It is an archive format, not a video format.

Some players can however read the archive and play the video, presuming it is a video inside.

I'm guessing that you are talking about a sequence of files rather than just being able to use the first in a series of unrelated RAR files.

There are two ways that I know of to make RAR archives spanning multiple files: the first is to set the RAR compressor to span across multiple files, with the filenames being numbered thereafter. If you open the first RAR file the application should recognize it as being the first in a sequence.

The second is to take a big archive and simply split it, dividing into pieces of raw data, with no file headers. If you would try to open one of these in a RAR decompressor it might not open. What you need to do with these is to combine them into one large file. There are many different ways to do this, so I'll leave you to find one that suits you.

One of the most helpful things would of course to be to provide an example of the type of files you're having problems with, but I have a hunch they might violate forum policy...

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you have the complete set of RAR segments, then there is no reason for your not being able to join the segments and unRAR the contents.

Whether you have an incomplete set or you just don't know how to use your software is left as a wild guess if we don't know the names of your file segments.