RAR files not downloading all the way, HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimmyselaznog, Dec 25, 2011.

1. jimmyselaznog macrumors newbie

DOes anyone know why when I go to download a rar file it will only download 5.4kb when the file size is 9mb? Please help, thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

What Mac OS X version with what exact browser (incl. version) do you use?
    What kind of internet connection do you have?
    Can you point to some of these .rar files as an example?
    Have you tried a different browser?

3. jimmyselaznog thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm very new to mac. I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8, Using Safari Version 5.1.2 I have comcast. It's high speed. I have tried downloading FireFox last night and that did not work either the file was a bit bigger downloaded to 8kb.

4. simsaladimbamba

Reset Safari yet?
    [​IMG]

And do you know what kind of hardware you have to connect to the internet, the hardware between the Mac and the telephone plug? A router and a modem are normally used.

5. jimmyselaznog thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried it and now the file is 2.8kb, I have a motorola SB5120 Modem and I also have the Airport Extreme Base Station wireless thing hooked up to the modem.

6. wybirn macrumors newbie

Cure

Hi, Just turn of temporary Norton's Vulnerability Protection. Then turn it back on after the download started going past 100k.
    Tried to get a response from Symantec, but no luck so therefore this workaround.

7. simsaladimbamba

What makes you think, the OP has Norton installed? It is not needed on Mac OS X.

8. wybirn macrumors newbie

It helped me.

Because when I turned off Norton it helped me, thats why i thought he may have the same problem. It happened after a recent automatic update of Norton. It can also be googled, as I did, and after a lot of reading there was one post that said to try this, and voila it worked. Lets see if it also works for the OP.

9. simsaladimbamba

Why do you even have Norton installed?

10. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

The Vulnerability Protection update dated 12/14/2011 fixes this issue.